We have a 12-month "season" , so I fish in the winter. I can't tell you my way is best, but it does work for me.

I start with synthetic long underpants and turtleneck shirt and a pair of heavy synthetic or wool socks Next comes fleece-lined wading pants and a heavy weight synthetic shirt. A heavy wool sweater goes over that, then a fleece jacket. Finally a breathable parka style jacket that is waterproof and windproof and my breathable stocking foot waders. Surprisingly, my breathable waders have proven way warmer than my neoprene ones.

I keep my head warm with a hat and an ear band. My hands stay warm enough with fingerless rag wool gloves that have a flap that converts them to mittens. If it is real cold, I'll also bring along a couple of pair of disposable latex gloves to wear under the gloves. Otherwise I carry a towel so I can dry my hands after reviving the fish and before I put my gloves back on.

I generally don't fish too far away from my car in the cold weather due to safety concerns. I'm usually fishing alone and the crowds aren't there. I keep a heavy sweatsuit in my car along with a beach towel as insurance against getting dunked.