Pike! Having lived in Minnesota for most of my 62-years, I am well versed in the lore and legend of the Pike. I am looking forward to more of the "Eye of the Guide" on "Northerns"

I have fished for them by various methods; In my early days, I used "Bait-cast Rod & Reel" trolling along the weed bed edges, using various lures, that I inherited from the discards from my fathers tackle box. In my young adult life, I switched to "Spin Cast Rod and Reel" casting into opening of the weed beds, around docks and sunken islands. The "Lazy Ike" was my go-to lure! In my senior years I have rid myself of all my bait-cast and spin-cast paraphernalia and strictly confine my angling using a fly rod. Today I fish for Northern Pike, Tiger Muskies (hybrid between a female Northern Pike and a male Muskellunge) & Muskies. The Pickerel are mostly found in the rivers and not the lakes, here in Minnesota.

Over the years our open water fishing has changed due to over fishing, and finally the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has step in to solve the problem of the decline Northern Pike in our States "Home Waters"! Tiger Muskellunges were introduced to the water to fill the void of large Northerns, Tiger Muskellunges are sterile. so they are a replacement predator until our Northern Pike populations recovers with the new "Catch & Release" regulations for caught Northern Pike in Minnesota.

Before, any Northern Pike that was 3-pounds or larger was never released, instead it became someone dinner, or mounted on the wall. Todays there are new "Catch & Release" regulations for the Northern Pike, that are similar to the "Catch & Release" for the Muskellunge. Depending on the lake, minimum length for a "Catch & Keep" of a Northern Pike is either 30-inches or 40-inches in length. While the "Catch & Keep for Muskellunges remains at a minimum length of 40-inches.

The Pickerel, Northern Pike, and Muskellunge are the top of the food chain, in the water's ecosystem. They are the wolves for thinning the other species, to maintain a healthy balance in our public freshwaters.

Couple years ago, on a lake that had been stocked with Tiger Muskellunges, I hooked into a (estimated) 42-inch Tiger Muskie while fly fishing for Largemouth Bass. Since I was using a WaterSkeeter Poontube, and half of me was in the water, I was compelled to cut my leader. I was using a Red/White Olsen Deceiver at the time (very similar in design to the "Bass Oreno" of my younger days!

If you go fly fishing for Pike, it is best to have a butchers glove, for handling the the pike to remove your fly from it's mouth (no need to lose any fingers). Not only are the teeth big, and the pike has a strong bite, a bite by a pike can cause some major infections that will require medical attention along with being sewed up from the nasty gash you will have from handling a large pike. Over ten years ago a canoeist drifting with the river current on Eagle River in Wisconsin, had their foot in the water over the side of the canoe. A "Tiger Muskellunge" took hold of the paddlers ankle, and would not let go. The canoeist pulled his foot back into the canoe with the fish still attached. After some hitting the Tiger Muskellunge on the head with the canoe paddle, the muskellunge released its grip, and the canoeist was able to go to the hospital for (if I remember correctly) over 100 stitches.