+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paddle choice

Default Paddle choice

I am thinking about buying a Malibu Mini-X kayak, 9'3" long, 33" beam. Is there a specific paddle shape and/or length that would be the best fit for this kayaks? I would be using it to fish rivers and small lakes - no super long trips and no hurry. Also, are seats made for specific brands of kayaks, or are they universal? Thanks.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

At minimum, I would buy a good quality paddle with a fiberglass shaft and molded plastic, asymetric blades. Some I would recommend looking at are the Bending Branches Slice Glass, Carlyle Magic Plus or the Aqua Bound Stingray Fiberglass. There are other models with various blade sizes, just make sure you do not buy one with an aluminum shaft and symetrical blade. For a kayak that wide, I would recommend a 230 length.

Seats are not universal, so make sure you get one that will fit the Mini X properly. You should have a lot of options in addition to the standard Malibu seat.

The Mini-X is nice and light, but it is short and fat. I would recommend you try some other models like the OK Caper or WS Tarpon 120 and Tarpon 100 before you pull the trigger.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

When I bought My Kayak this year, I was told to look for a paddle that fit me. I have a 230 Aqua Bound, that has a carbon fiber shaft and plastic molded blades. The paddle is also a medium angle stroke blade. They said that would make a difference aswell. The medium angle I felt was a little easier to control more so than a deep angle paddle. You don't have to dig as deep in the awter to get the same movement and control, it is a more relaxed paddle. You could expect to spend about $100 to 150 for a entry level carbon fiber paddle that you love for a long time. I felt that the $ I spent was well worth it after being on the water for a long day of fishing, and have to try to paddle with a heavy paddle no way that is going to happen.

+ Reply to Thread