+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OVER THE HILL GANG - Ladyfisher - September 13, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default OVER THE HILL GANG - Ladyfisher - September 13, 2010

OVER THE HILL GANG

My husband Trav mentioned last week our trip down to West Yellowstone for the FFF Fly Fair, which would have been the week just before the Labor Day weekend. I?m not associated with FFF an more and so I have no way of knowing how they decided on that date, but it pretty much assures there aren?t going to be very many young people (as in kids) in attendance. And there weren?t, and it didn?t seem like there was much aimed at them either.

Blog Entries

Ladyfisher has a point, but youth will find a way: here around Our Nation's Capital, there are several TU chapters. they are good places to begin if you're new to the area. you can meet neighbors who fish and go on free monthly Fish With A Member trips.

however, the average age is, well, gray.

lately a new organization has popped up, called Tidal Potomac Flyrodders. they fish mostly the Potomac because it is close to work and home and offers some really great fishing (thank you, Clean Water Act!). because boats are expensive and a bother in a city, spey casting has taken off amongst this group. the average age is, well, not gray.

it's important for organizations that want to grow and prosper to remember the youth. it's great to offer stuff to kids--they remember it and grow up and join clubs. youth is more than Boy Scouts doing fishing badges though; you need the 25-40s as well. they are your immediate future! they will make sure there is something for the kids when they grow up.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

A friend and I attended one day of the Conclave and he made the same observation - practically no one under 60 years old in attendance, other than some of the vendors and a couple of the fly tyers.

I felt better though when I talked to my 7 year old grandson on the telephone last week. I asked him what we were going to do when I see him in a couple weeks and he said "take me fishing".

John

Granted that I am only slightly younger than dirt, but I do not see many people older than me when I go to the Chattahoochee River on the north side of metro Atlanta. I typically see guys from their teens to their 50's out there fishing. The last time I fished with someone the "Kid" was 26, the other guys were early and late 40's. If I have to chose (especially as a younger man) to go to the FFF conclave or go on a fishing trip, it will be sorry I missed you but let me tell you about the big one that didn't get away. I exhibited my company's goods at a trade show last year in CA, everyone said the attendance was down considerably from past years. Money is tight and worse than tight.

Young guys may look at conclaves, etc., like I do NFL football, "I can watch that when I'm too old to fish."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

While i still consider myself a very young 46:^).....I do often find even myself as being the youngest person at fly fishing gatherings. I did notice however, a good unumber of younger folks at the Somerset NJ show this winter. And alot of 30'ish women too. So maybe it's not all bad?

Wow ladyfisher... it's sad but you've hit the nail on the head. There are young-uns, but not many. We have the opportunity to teach many kiddos in our club, and do so, but the fact is... who is going to turn loose a ten year old with a $200 rod $150 reel etc. etc... when they can go to wal-mart at get a $25 spinning rod and fish?

Personally I think that $ is most of the problem. If we could get the price down, I think we could catch younger fishers...

I have a pretty good crew of 4 or five guys around my age that I fish with but outside of that we are definitely surrounded by the "gray" crowd. I almost prefer it that way though because it seems most guys my age are strictly "chuck and duck" from the boat their dad bought them kind of guys. It may have to do with the over abundance of fly fisherman here in S.E. Idaho, i dunno Price is the most common road block i encounter when trying to get new people to go. They have fun but aren't willing to pitch out $100 or so to really get started. my $.02
    Get Em!

I gotta observe here, and you ain't gonna like it:

This is kinda like the fish ins. Late Sept, Late May, October, etc. You ain't agonna get many people like me with kids, etc to make these kinda things. AND I have another reason to go to Idaho (family), AND would be happy to make a trip of it. AND my 8 year old fishes, AND my 3 year old does too. BUT not in Late Sept, nor in Late May.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

maodiver, the dates for the various fish ins across the country and set by the folks who usually start that local fish in and they make the date choices based on quality of fishing, access, hatches and availability of accommodations. The Idaho Fish-In dates have been chosen to take advantage of the October Caddis. And to date, everyone who has attended has caught fish! If I were planning a trip to Idaho with kids I think I'd want them to see the absolute beauty of that region in the fall - my kids are all grown up, but I'm told homework can be arranged and taking even a week out of schools just isn't anything in today's world. Sorry, we are not intentionally keeping kids from attending and we have had kids at most of the fish- ins.

I didn't say it was intentional, any more than the varous conclaves are intentional. I didn't think your article was saying that the one you attended was purposely trying to keep young people away.

As far as taking kids out of school for a week, as a teacher I gotta say that there is nothing worse you could do for your kids, especially the older they get. With the amount of information society says we have to cram down their throats, especially if you have an Honors student or a kid taking an AP class, a week can be a killer. If you have a student with marginal grades it is the same thing, because if they aren't getting good grades, it's because they don't do the work. What makes you think they are going to do it when they are on vacation? If they have poor grades because they don't understand the material, and don't seek extra help, you are murdering their chances if you take them away from available help and expect them to do it on their own AND comprehend the information. My kid is a 3rd grader. Last week, they introduced multiplication by 2s and 5s in the same week. In addition, he had a dozen new words to learn, reading to do, and social studies and science (these last 2 were done in class only). It would have made a real problem to take him out.

These ain't the same schools we all went to anymore. Accountability is the new buzzword...but most people who are down on education don't seem to realize that accountability goes both ways.

Sorry if this came off as a rant, I don' t mean it that way. I appreciate what you are trying to say, LF, and I would love to be able to do it. I realize that fishing and school don't meet up very well when it comes to the calendar. I guess this is the crux of the issue, so it's hard to get kids into the non-water and camaraderie aspects of our sport. Some day, my kids will be out of school, and I will finally get a chance to meet a bunch of the great people here. Until then, I hope to remain ether-friends with all of you.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread