+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hello everyone. I've just registered with this fine angling forum. Have been lurking for a while, soaking up wisdom and doing research on equipment. I have really enjoyed you all.
    Although I have been fly fishing since I was a kid, I kinda got away from the sport when I bought a bassboat in 89. Did the whole bassfishing thing, joined a club, won some tournaments, even won angler of the year awards for two years running. But after several years I began to realize that somethig was missing from my "run and gun" days on the water. So I began to pursue fun fishing again, sold the bassboat, went back to a canoe and am enjoying fishing again.
    Have caught lots of panfish and bass with fly tackle but no trout yet. Would love to change that this year.
    Many thanks to all here for making my return to flyfishing so informative and enjoyable.

Welcome to the board

intelligent post. You fit right in.

DVC, My path is not all that different from the one that you have taken. I persued northern pike rather than bass.
    Good luck, trout fishing. Itis a totally different breed of fishing. Plan on learning and relearning a whole bunch of stuff. If you think your good now, after winning two tourneys and all, get ready to be humbled. It's way harder than it looks and man is it fun. Good luck.

"Nice thing about rain is you don't have to shovel it. " C.R.Thorp

Welcome! This is a great place to hang out& get to know some folks. Glad to have you.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi DVC,

Since you've been lurking, you already know about the good people and the great advice. My fishing experience has been almost identical to yours. I moved to Upstate SC with its big, deep lakes and fell under the influence bass fishermen. I fished for almost thirty years that way. Anyway, in 2001 I decided to get back to fly fishing. I bought a couple of new fly rods, started tying my own again and left the hardware in the basement. I still fish the lakes though I am more limited in terms of the water columm. I do get laughed at by some of my old friends now and then. BTW, they weren't laughing last Friday when I landed a 31" striper right in front of them.

Enough about me, welcome to the group. Please share you experiences and thoughs with the us. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Hey DVC,

A hearty Welcome Aboard! Welcome back
    to fly fishing as well. I wouldn't be too
    worried about catching trout. IMHO, trout
    are just a consolation prize for folks that
    don't have gill's and bass to fish for.
    Drop by the chat room and visit. Warm
    regards, Jim

DVC-
    Sounds like you are going to enjoy chasing trout. Lots of ways to fool them. Are you going to start tying flies? From your bass angling days, I'm sure you know what triggers a strike. Just put those same colors and actions on your flies and present in familiar ways and you'll be all set. Bass are like bulldogs. Trout act more like like cats....

Rich

DVC,

Sounds like you are really going to like hanging out here (I do). Welcome ...

Chub1,
    If you think your good now, after winning two tourneys and all, get ready to be humbled.
    I've been at it a while and get humbled pretty well every day.

Further, once you get "good" at trout, come after Atlantics and the whole game starts over again,...

then there's warm water,
    and salt,
    and still water
    and big water
    and small streams and ....

Well, you get the idea, ...

And then there's tying ...
    And teaching,
    and guiding
    and stream protection & restoration
    and Scouts ... !!!!

Man, I love this stuff !!!

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:ff9e6]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:ff9e6]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 06 March 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

As the others have said, welcome to the Clan of the Long Rod. It's more fun than almost anything else I can think of.
    Catch a big one for me.

Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

[This message has been edited by Sawkill (edited 06 March 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Sawkill (edited 06 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread