Yesterday my wife & I returned to a favorite little lake for an afternoon and, as it turned out, evening of relaxing and fishing. I started out with a bead head chartreuse woolly bugger & caught a few bass with a bluegill now and then until something big grabbed it, took off and broke my tippet. End of story for that pattern as I didn't have any replacements so I tied on a few other patterns with even less success. The whole time I was thinking I'm not going to have another big fish hit. Then about 6:00 p.m. I noticed some little dimples on the water with a few other larger rises. I thought, what the heck, I'll try a bass popper about the same size as some frogs I'd seen around the edge of the lake. What a difference! In about an hour and a half I caught 7 bass the largest being an 18 incher. The final tally for the day was 12 bass.

The last time I was there with my wife I had the best day catching bass in my life and caught 11. Even since then I kidded my wife about being my good luck charm. Yesterday my luck got even better and all my wife had to do was get a year older. I hope this doesn't end!