+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are rod prices topping out?

Hybrid View

Smile Are rod prices topping out?

I have to believe with this economy and the improvement of "lower end" rods the prices of S and W will have to drift down. Add to that the inventory of very fine rods these company's have discontinued the past decade. Sure, there will always be some people who need the newest but fewer can afford it than in the past.

Don't bet on it!

Back 15 years ago there was a "ceiling" price of $500 that no company dared to cross and rod prices were stable for a long time

.... then came "the movie" and all all that came with it.
    All bets were off
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    Back 15 years ago there was a "ceiling" price of $500 that no company dared to cross and rod prices were stable for a long time

All bets were off
    My buying behavior changed when rod prices crossed that $500 threshold. At that point I moved to buying the heavily discounted discontinued items.

I look forward to owning a Winston B3X and a Loomis NRX . . . . . . . sometimes around 2018 when they're on sale for 40% off.

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post

All bets were off
    I still can't believe you are blaming the cost of fly rods on a movie that came out 18 years ago.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

gloomis latest fly rod, the nrx, is $700 - 1170 depending on mode
    and all the NRX spey rods are over $1,000. Thank you Loomis for building a rod that only 1% of the population can afford. lol. I think the prices will continue to go up, for all the "latest and greatest" but I think we'll see more and better mid-priced offerings.

I'm a low end guy. Once I took up putting my own rods together (I won't say "building" because that implies far more skill than I possess) I realized that a decent rod can be had for a very reasonable cost. I've rebuilt all the manufactured rods I've owned, and in every case it came out better than what I bought originally. I can't see paying hundreds of dollars for something that I am most likely going to break in the woods anyway.

That said, if you love high end equipment and it adds to your enjoyment, I say more power to you! Enjoy! If you pay $800 for a rod, it is going to perform for you like my econo-rods never will. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of success.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Nope, prices will continue to go up. Even the imports will continue to increase in price. However, more companies are doing the entry level, good, better, and best pricing strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    Don't bet on it!
    I would. The G loomis NRX is about $800 for a single hander and $1100 for a double hander. I don't see prices going higher, in fact I see people rebelling against this.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Deepcreek,

I have to be a bit of a killjoy on your question. I bought mid-price outfits like the Orvis Clearwater Outfits and Cabela's Clear Creek outfits. I like what I got and don't anticipate any further rod purchases barring theft or breakage. Now if Sage and Loomis slip into the $20 price range that might be another story. 8T

+ Reply to Thread