I have to say that I'm a bottom feeder with boutique tastes. I've only paid full price for three rods - the first one I bought, my wife's first rod (a TFO CFR 8wt), and my Norling bamboo. All of my other rods have either been used, closeout models, or more unfortunately, bought from shops that were going out of business.

I don't think rod prices are going to top out. There are always going to be folks willing to pay the price for a perceived advantage. I do think fly rods are getting better over time, but not so much that it would be worth paying $300 more for a "new" model when the "old" model is sitting right next to it. In fact, with a lot of the trend towards faster and faster actions, often the "old" model might suit your casting stroke better.

Businesses close, new businesses open. Models come and go. There will always be opportunities for folks to find a great rod at a great price. May not always be the length you're hoping for (often you can find a great deal on an 8' 6" 5wt vs a 9' 5wt, for example), but they're out there if you're willing to look and wait a while.