+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Where did all the newbies go?

I am a newbie. And while I've had a (very) few disparaging remarks sent my way I just attributed them to individuals and continued reading. This is the only fly fishing BBS that I participate in. I've checked out several of the others but stay here because the majority of folks are kind, considerate and informative. From one newbie to you all, thanks FAOL.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Well here I go again, I guess the people who produced the new film, The River Why must have spent all their research time on the Drake...the language is about the same. Guess I won't see that one either. Why, I'd like to know is it assumed to be alright to be crude and vulgar? Who is it that gave the movie people the idea that is what fly fishers are?
    ummmm... You got that from the trailer?
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

DaleW,

I'm not sure if I'm one of those people your eluding to - I know I can get long-winded at times! LOL!!!!
    I like to give a little background sometimes when I answer someones question. It not only shows that I understand what is being asked but that I genuinely care enough about that persons question that I'm willing to share some additional info. It is absolutely fine with me if that person wants to ignore my additional help, its there if they want it. I'm here to interact with like minded folks, but could just as easily give a simple yes or no answer if thats what everyone wants! IMHO, I believe folks who are new to fly fishing are like sponges, soaking up every tidbit they can get. Oooor! did I misinterpret your post? BTW, this is not an admonishment in any way and please don't take it that way. Just lookin for some clarification tis all!!!!

Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

When I was a newbie here, one of the things I loved was the diversity of answers I would get to a question. It soon convinced me that there was generally no one right way when it came to fly fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    As with most things, I sometimes think the internet may be a mixed blessing. I often wonder if I was just thinking about starting fly fishing today, would I do it.

Back in the day (before the invention of electricity), when I first started fly fishing. I followed my natural inclination and bought a cheap rod, reel and line, along with a few flies, and had at it. I didn't know any better. I caught fish and had fun, the rest is history.

If I was just getting started today, I'd check into the popular fly fishing forums, and ask the infamous "What do I need to get started fly fishing for bluegills in my local subdivision ponds?" I know I'd get alot of well intentioned advice from the "experts". In most cases, the advice would be "Go large or stay home." A typical "starter" outfit suggestion would usually include a rod that cost at least a couple hundred, a $100 + reel, $60 fly line, vest, fly box full of flies, and assorted accessories.

As was previously discussed, that be pretty tough to swing if I happened to currently be unemployed and looking for something to help me cheaply pass all my newly found spare time. I'm not criticizing the advice given since it is given with the best of intentions, but I certainly see why it would cause some folks to decided to take up something cheaper, like golf or power boat racing.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    My memory isn't what it used to be, so just to make sure it wasn't just my imagination, I just took a look at another well known forum. Here's the advice given for a starter outfit -

ABC's Pick

1. Fly Rod: TFO 5wt, 9' length. $149.95, Redington Red.Fly 2, 9' 5wt. $99.00
    2. Fly Reel: Lamson Konic $129, Redington Rise 5/6 $159
    3. Fly Line: RIO Selective Trout II WF-Floating $65, SA Mastery WF-Floating $65
    4. Estimated Cost: $293 to $374, Based on equipment selected.

XYZ's Pick

1. Fly Rod: Sage Launch 9' 5 weight 2 pc. $199. 4 pc. $225
    2. Fly Reel: Lamson Konic 2 $129.
    3. Fly Line: Rio Selective Trout $64.
    4. Estimated Cost: $375. to $425

I don't necessarily think this advice is bad, as long as the new person is sure they will like fly fishing, and have the funds available. However if funds are tight, or I'm just toying with giving it a try, I may decide to try something else.
    As well as this. It has become a sport of MUST...In most cases before you are EVEN OUT THE DOOR, you absolutely MUST spend at least six to seven hundred dollars to get a "starter" outfit (Including the obligitory 250 dollar pair of waders, the sixty dollar fly box, eighty dollar net, etc). You MUST spend this ammount to by "entry level gear" and "enough to get you started" just to see if you like it and can figure out how to do it. Any casting question or problem is solved with you MUST find someone to give you casting lessons because you can't possibly figure out how to do it on your own by reading or (thank God for UTube) watching videos. You see the point.

A couple of years ago helped a friend of mine get started in fly fishing. Redington Crosswater 5 weight (very underrated stick. I like it so much I bought one for myself), $99. Gander Mountain Breathable Waders (another excellent value for boot foot waders, maybe for Christmas), $129, Frabil Net, $25. Vest was free and I gave him the fly box, flies and gadgets. That's still $250 and some change and that's considered cheap...

And it's not just fly fishing...Check out a bass forum and see how many refer to 100-200 dollar rods as "low end" and 100-200 dollar reels as "OK"...

If it wasn't for classified ads and closeout sales, I'm not sure that I could afford it either.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

i'm not a newbie by any means and getting back into fly fishing after about 12 years away and selling all my fishing gear. first thing i notice is how prices have gone north, as in up! if not for the FAOL For Sale section, links to various FF dealers from FAOL, the internet, and knowing my way around i'd be very discouraged. So far here's a list of stuff, the bare essentials to "get back in" i've found.

Rod - Albright 9' 4 wt 5 piece AS5 - $90, for sale section at faol
    Reel - Lamson Velocity - $143.90 - closeout from madison river fishing co. more than i wanted to pay but jeez it was a great deal.
    Line - Allen WF4F 2 color - $18.75 shipped
    Backing - TJ's Bear Den - $9.06 shipped
    Leaders - Monofilament spools from walmart - about $15, i'll get 100 yd. spools of monofilament to tie leaders at about $3.00 a spool and should be a lifetime supply
    Total - $276.71
    I'll need 2 or 3 fly boxes from walmart at about 4 bux each.

i have a fanny pack that works well to carry flies, leader nippers, hemostats, pliers and all that stuff. i can easily see 450/500 bux to outfit with the other accessories if i was to go that route.

fortunately i tie and have material, hooks and tools from back in the day.

yes, i'd be very discouraged to be a newbie and try to "get into" from scratch.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Blog Entries

I gotta agree with DaveP on the cost of starting. While you can get a much better than you would expect outfit from Walmart for much less than a c-note, that is still higher than I think it needs to be.

I can't see where a low end fly outfit should cost any more than a low end spinning combo. A rod is a rod to manufacture and fly reels are less complicated to make than spinning reels by a long shot.

That aught to start an argument.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Where are the newbies? many probably lurk and simply have started using that "search" function to find what they're looking for since this, and many other sites have incredible amounts of archived information.

The whole initial setup question always cracks me up. I now own quite a few rods, reels, etc in all price ranges and materials from bamboo to glass to graphite. The funny thing is that one of my setups that I use quite frequently probably cost around $100 total. (Fenwick FF807, $50; Pflueger 1594 1/2, $25; home made floating shooting head from no name fly line brand, $15; waist pack, ??--had it so long I don't think I even paid for it; fly box, $5 for three small plastic containers; flies, I tie most of my own so who knows--all my fly tying stuff probably cost more than this setup though).

for some reason, I gravitate back to this setup even if I spend time fishing other setups...That Fenwick is just a magical rod in the way it casts and handles...it just increases the "fun" factor.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Both Scientific Anglers and Cortland have complete outfits, rod, reel, line, leader for under $100...the Cortland one, Just Add Water, also has a nice case. The SA one includes a video. This is NOT expensive...no, they aren't giving it away, but close.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Both Scientific Anglers and Cortland have complete outfits, rod, reel, line, leader for under $100...the Cortland one, Just Add Water, also has a nice case. The SA one includes a video. This is NOT expensive...no, they aren't giving it away, but close.

I have one of the Cortland starter outfits in a 5 weight I bought when I was on a business trip and needed some equipment for an unexpected opportunity to fish. It is about 12 years old. I still use the rod and reel even though I have rods that are far more expensive. The Cortland rod that came in the kit is a very nice rod and will serve any beginner well for a long time. A hundred bucks for a rod and reel that still fishes over a decade later is a good deal.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread