+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LL Bean Helix waders

Default LL Bean Helix waders

Anyone have any reviews of the LL Bean helix waders. $400 for some non goretex waders seems like a lot of money, but I have a $200 pair from them that is leaking, so I can exchange up at no charge thanks to LL Beans satisfaction guarantee.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta....php?p=5998069
    http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=643828

Regards,
    Scott

ps - I assumed you already looked at the reviews on the Bean site

While I don't have the LL Bean Helix waders I will state that many non-GoreTex waders are now in the $400 range. I have a pair of Redington CPX Zip (with the full length zipper) waders and they are $400 as well, but are not GoreTex. I've found them to be extremely breathable and durable. While I think GoreTex is still the gold standard for breathability I think there are a good number of similar products out there now at a lower price point that are equally as good. I have a Helly Hansen rain coat I bought 10 years ago (non GoreTex) and it is still going strong today.

Plus with the Bean guarantee if you aren't happy down the line they'll stand behind their product so you can't really go wrong.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Thanks for the link Scott, that was helpful. The question is $200 for a $400 pair of waders, stay with what I have and hope they don't leak, or get away from LL Bean on waders.

What you have going for you with Bean is the unlimited re-fills, and that's not a bad deal. Seems from what I read, it sounds like you might want to try them on before making your decision to see if you like the way they fit.

Regards,
    Scott

I'm on my 4th pair of LL Bean waders, three from sending them back due to leakage. The third replacement pair leaked out of the box but i needed to fish so i kept them, though i know i can trade them in, i've used them so much i don't think it would be fair. I noticed a sale on some waist high waders and i've always wanted some so i turned in a couple of $10 coupons from using Bean's credit card and took a chance. Best waders i've ever had and so far so good on not leaking...cost with coupons came to $59 and i'd buy them again.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I had an older pair of Wicked Tough waders that leaked after a year and then sat for over 3 years. I finally traded them for the full discount on a set of Helix early this spring. In the in between time I trashed a set of Simms Guide waders. So far they've survived about 20 days in the salt, and about an equal number in fresh. They have had zero problems so far and I must admit are comftorable. Allthough the gravel guard boot lace hooks show some corrosion on the rivets, they look like they won't fail. The zippers on the handwarmer pocket have stayed waterproof and SALT proof! I had a bit of time adjusting to the backward suspender hook-up- that should have been done differently, but as long as you have some range of motion in your shoulders you can deal with it. At first the heavy material and the odd cut in the feet feel strange, but they do not feel that way when your boots are on and I feel better about sand inflitration, knowing they are a heavier material. The Simms feet had to be re-taped after 2 years. I've detected no difference between the material used and Gore-Tex. The back comes up high, and is great for use in float tubes. I also like the fact they come up high because of last week, getting smashed in the chest with storm swell from Earl and managing to stay dry. I do a lot of walking and hard wading, sometimes through heavy brush. I fish several rivers with sharp shale ledges and need extra protection in the knees. The material shows no abrasions, yet. I would say these waders are a bargain for 200 bucks. I was really disappointed with the Wicked Toughs. Although they were only a little less than Simms, they performed lousy! These seem to be a different grade entirely.

Charlie

+ Reply to Thread