+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pflueger Medalist Ruminations

Default Pflueger Medalist Ruminations

First let me say that I am in no way an expert on these reels...I am a noob to them, as a matter of fact.

However..

The thread about what fly reel to buy with unlimited funds had a Medalist listed. I bought a couple at a garage sale this summer. This got me thinking about how many people seem to really like these reels, and I wanted to see if the desire was reflected in the demand.

Where to go to find out? FleaBay, of course.

When I got there, I was amazed by the low starting price and ending bids of these reels. Completed listings showed the ending bids to be under $30 for most reels. Sure there were some over $100, but most sold fairly cheaply.

This led me to wonder why they went so cheap? Is the market saturated, or are they just that unknown? As I said, I have 2 of them, and I am going to start fishing them, just for the fun of it this fall. One with a 3 weight, the other with a 6 or 7. I have to decide whether to go to onepfoot.com and get the bushing to reverse the reel or just switch hands. They are old enough to be non-reversable without modification. Problem is that the bushings cost more than double what the reels did.

Give me your stories, please. Did you love these reels or were they just another reel to you?

MAO
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Speaking only for myself, the Medalist is the reel I started with over 50 years ago. Within it's own constraints, it does everything a reel needs to do. And it does it at a fair and affordable price. In my mind, it's an icon, like a Buck 110.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

They are the perfect reel. Actually they do everything a reel needs to do and does it very well. They are still in business, it's a great product and affordable to most everyone. What's not to love?

Maodiver,

The Pflueger reels certainly are workhorses! My first reel was a Medalist Modal 1492, and I still use it after 40+ years! I also have a 1494 1/2 with 5 spools with various lines, ie- DT/WF/Full Sinking/Sink-Tip and Nymph-Tip. Have some older models also, like the Progress - Model 1774 - brass frame with aluminum spool, and small Progress - brass frame with stainless steel spool (has the #60 on the base and is about the size of a Model 1492). I use the oldest ones on my bamboo fly rods. The only down side that I have experienced is when going from fighting a fish using the line to then fighting the fish on the reel, that you will experience too much pressure (start-up inertia?) and will break off the fish when using light tippets. I suppose you could allow the reel to free-spool and try to control the reel by finger/hand pressure but I think you would be asking for trouble - possible birds nest!!! If I am fishing streamers with heavy tippets I would not hesitate to use the Medalists. Also would use them on very small streams where it is unlikely for you to fight a fish on the reel. Of course I could just be over-thinking all of this!!!!!

Best Regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

I think they are a great reel. They look "Old-Timey" and go quite well with a fiberglass or bamboo rod. They are a tough reel and will most likely last a lifetime. I think you can still buy the 1400 series at Cabela's for $25.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I may be wrong here but years ago the Medalist's were made in the USA - now they're made overseas. So, the more expensive reels were probably older US made reels and the low-priced reels are more recent and imported.

I've never fished with a Medalist but I would like to get one of the older US made reels as I recently picked up a bamboo rod (albeit cheap) and it would be nice to have a nostalgic reel mounted to it. I currently have an old Martin reel (#15 or #35 I think) that I'm using but like the looks of the Medalist better.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

I have no romantic nostalgia or great fish stories associated with Pfluegers since I only owned one in the "old days" but I came around recently to "lure and lore" of Medalists and now have two 1950's vintage 1494's in my collection.

The price is right, the durability is there, there is more than 5 years of history, the track record is exemplary, the list of previous owners is both humble and full of notables and they look cool too!

Today I feel that every fly angler, especially American fly anglers should own a piece of history and display or fish at least one Medalist, regardless of your past history with the reel. It's an American Classic that has so memories attached to it that even if you never owned one before, all of those old memories from past owners will rub off on you quickly!

Here is a great history lesson on Medalists.

In regards to upgrades; I can HIGHLY recommend the One Pfoot stuff. Bill Franke is a great guy and his products are first class. While a new drag washer or counter weight will easily set you back the cost of the reel, it makes an already great reel, even greater.

Of course you could go whole hog too:

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 09-09-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    They are the perfect reel. Actually they do everything a reel needs to do and does it very well. They are still in business, it's a great product and affordable to most everyone. What's not to love?
    Hi Ladyfisher: Have you or do you know anyone who has fished with a new foreign made Medalist? I just wonder how well they are made and if they hold up well to a lot of time on the water.
    Bruce

In regards to upgrades; I can HIGHLY the One Pfoot stuff. Bill Franke is a great guy and his products are first class. While a new drag washer or counter weight will easily set you back the cost of the reel, it makes an already great reel, even greater.

This is 100% true.

I only fish with Medalist reels with my boo rods. The reels are over 40 years old (made in the good 'ol USA) and are in tip top working order. I've been spicing them up within the last 2 years with One-Pfoot products. Forty years ago the Medalis reels cost less than $35-40 so adding the One-Pfoot upgrades still beats buying a single expensive reel.

I started a thread regarding balancing tackle and I suspect the new reels made of bar stock are making the graphite rods butt end heavy.

+ Reply to Thread