+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled leaders

Default Furled leaders

Ok so I guess they not ideal for surf fishing but I'm really fascinated with them, really easy to do and not a lot of knots but then again, I have been doing the easy ones like this guy shows in the following utube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVa...eature=related

I don't have the time or space to make a jig or however those are called so this method is just fine for me. I guess the question is, how do you determine what mono size you use for certain fly line wt. For instance if I want to make one for my 8wt and one for my 3wt what mono size? The guy says for a 7' leader you use a 21' piece of mono but when I tried I ended up with a 5' 1/2 leader. Can I build two color leaders with this method?
    Thanks a lot guys.
    I believe I can fly fish

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    The guy says for a 7' leader you use a 21' piece of mono but when I tried I ended up with a 5' 1/2 leader. Can I build two color leaders with this method?
    Thanks a lot guys.
    i believe the guy is right

if you take a 21 foot long piece of mono and fold it in half, twist it per the video you are left with a 10.5 foot long twisted leader. then as stated in the video, fold over 1/3 of the leader and twist those 4 strands together

1/3 of a 10.5 foot leader is 3.5 feet. if you subtract 3.5 from 10.5 you will get a 7 foot twisted leader

so much for my higher math skills!

you could tie together 2 different colors of mono at 10.5 feet long for each leg of the leader and twist that per the video
    Last edited by Normand; 09-08-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post

you could tie together 2 different colors of mono at 10.5 feet long for each leg of the leader and twist that per the video
    Ok, I guess I didn't measure the 21' right but will try again when I get home, I tried one with my 3wt and the turnover is just perfect, it doesn't spook fish at all! Perfect for carp fishing. The only part I didn't quite get was the one I quoted (sorry, a bit slow here). You mean when I twist the 21' in half then I tie another piece or 10.5' to it?
    I believe I can fly fish

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    Can I build two color leaders with this method?
    cut 1 piece of RED mono 10.5 feet long

cut 1 piece of YELLOW mono 10.5 feet long

tie both pieces of mono together with a square knot

hold the 2 pieces of mono just below the knot and twist the leader per the video

colors of the mono are your choice. i just used 2 colors for talking purposes

+ Reply to Thread