+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite flyfishing quote?

Default What's your favorite flyfishing quote?

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach ...

one of my favorites and does anyone recall the exact Gierach quote about the fine line between fishing and standing in a river waving a stick?

The fish are always right.
    The fish are always right.

Talking

When baseball great Ted Williams was asked what he thought about Carl Yastrzemski, his replacement in the Red Sox line-up he replied.

"I've only got one thing to say about Yaz, Yaz fishes with worms"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

"Besides egotism there is in every fisherman a humor, a certain loquaciousness, a friendly levity, an inclination to argument, an inexplicable sense of the pleasure in idling hours along a river, and a peculiar tendency toward exaggeration which he can recognize in his companion, but is rarely capable of seeing in himself."
    Zane Grey

"I have been, all my life, what is known as a conservationist. It seems clear beyond possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed down on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern."
    Roderick Haig-Brown
    Last edited by Kerry Stratton; 09-08-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Anything by Ed Zern; here's one of my favorites:

"A recent survey showed that roughly two-thirds of all fishermen never eat fish. This should surprise nobody. Fish is brain food. People who eat fish have large, well-developed brains. People with large, well-developed brains don't fish. It's that simple." - Ed Zern

Rocks don't swim.
    I believe that's one of Lefty's.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

At the top of our sign is one of my favorites from "Testament of a Fisherman"

Be safe!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I've got a few:

From 'A River Runs Through It':

One reason Paul caught more fish than anyone else was that he had his flies in the water more than anyone else. "Brother," he would say, "there are no flying fish in Montana. Out here, you can't catch fish with your flies in the air."

Something within fishermen tries to make fishing into a world perfect and apart - I don't know what it is or where, because sometimes it is in my arms and sometimes in my throat and sometimes nowhere in particular except somewhere deep. Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters.

As much has been said of 'the movie', I, for one, enjoyed it immensely along with the book as written by Norman Maclean. Another favorite that I use often with my sons after having experienced a bad day, week, etc., is (paraphrased), "Let's go fishing and wipe this day off the map", along with "...he's (we're) going to make a killing".

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Fish where they are, not where they ain't.
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Ladyfisher's column this week, "Overheard" has a lot of quotes. I think the most useful are: "The most important thing in fly fishing is observation", "The second most important thing in fly fishing is observation", and "Finally, The most important thing in fly fishing is observation".
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread