+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flies Online

Default Flies Online

I have just started flyfishing. I am not ready to start tying at this point, I figure I should learn how to casr a fly before I try tying them. So I am looking for some insight as to good online sights to buy flies. Any insight would be helpful

------------------
    Teach someone to fish and you will be rewarded ten times over.

[url=http://www.troutflies.com:c1c60]www.troutflies.com[/url:c1c60] is pretty good. Check it out.

------------------
    Warren F.
    Bozeman, MT

Well, Cabelas (www.cabelas.com), Orvis (www.orvis.com), Feather Craft (www.feather-craft.com) and Kaufmann's Streamborn ( 1-800-442-4359) all offer catalogs (for free, I believe) that have a great selection of flies. Alternatively, let me know where you fish/what you fish for and I'll come up with a good selection for you at a reasonable price. You might try your local fly shop as well (though I know that can be a bit pricey- my uncle spends a good $40-50 every year at this one shop when we go to Sun River to fish the Fall). Anyway, hope this helps.

Joe Martin
    Salem, OR
    Photojoe4@aol.com

blueflycafe.com

Hills is also good:
    [url=http://www.hillsdiscountflies.com/:35af0]http://www.hillsdiscountflies.com/[/url:35af0]

deleted

I tie my own when I can and buy from my local shop when I can't. But I'll endorse JC on this. Go to the FAOL home page, click on sponsors and you'll find links to Online fly sources that will give you good flies at great prices.

As mentioned previously, Hills Discount flies is a sponsor with excellent prices & they have fantastic sales.
    If you fish warmwater for panfish, pick up a bunch of ants & some wooly worms (yellow with grizzly hackle & red tail are my favorites).
    By the way, welcome to the best site ANYWHERE!!!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

My advice.....get a Fly-Tying Kit and roll your own! That's at least half the fun, if not more....! Tying your own flies is almost as satisfying as fishing with them. I've seen beginner kits on EBay for as little as $20.00, but I would recommend getting one new from Cabela's or similar retailer, just to be sure you get a good basic start-up of the proper materials.

Beware....it is very additive. I've been lucky. I probably spent over $50.00 this year so far on feathers, fur, Sea Fiber, prismatic markers, hooks, etc...., and I tie at least a couple of flies 6 out of 7 days a week on average, and I have been accused by my wife of locking myself in the studio for days on end tying, only comming out to eat and and take care of other necesary biological functions, but it hasn't become an obsession, yet.

Semper Fi!

For good prices and also great quality flies try.
    Hillsdiscountflies.com or BlueFlyCafe.com
    Both of these are about 1/3 the price or Orvis & others.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread