+ Reply to Thread

Thread: half buck flies

Hybrid View

Default half buck flies

Anyone here a regular customer of flydealflies.com?? Dry flies are about 40 cents and nymphs are about 50 cents. Obviously a good price, but how is the quality? I am not shilling them, I honestly do not know what kind of quality they are and they could be crud for all I know.

Yuppers, we have a SPONSOR right here with .50 cent flies - http://www.flyanglersonline.com/abou...lies/index.php

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I don't think I have ever bought a fly. I learned to tie before I learned to fly fish.

They can't be much, for .50 cents ea. They must be tied in Indonesia, China, or someplace. Notice, they say that if you are not 100% satisfied with the quality, you can pack the whole set of flies unused, and return them for a refund. It would be difficult to judge the quality without using one, and if it falls apart (likely), then it can't be returned. It's a Catch-22. It's like saying if your parachute fails to open, you can bring it back in for a refund.

Common-sense would indicate that you get what you pay for. If an .85 cent fly works for you, then more power to you. I have always preferred my own flies.

For most patterns I tie, the materials alone cost more than that, not counting my time, expertise, and shipping.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 09-07-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Gigmaster,
    I live on the E. Coast, and Canada is closer to me than New Jersey, PA, Syracuse NY etc. I consider Canada friendly neighbors, much like peple from states other than Massachusetts. As for the price and where they are made, I think you are right about them not being made in the Americas. Would be interesting to find out more about that. I also am not a fan of buying flies tied by kids in far and distant lands . I would rather pay more than the minimum if I can get something that I know was not made byh exploited labor.

Would like to know a good buy for some flies tied in countries that do not exploit their labor.

jed
    Last edited by Jed; 09-07-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spellling

Most flies in the fly shops are tied over seas. The fly shop where I help out have local people tying the flies that are used in the area.

I have bought from flydealflies.com before. Good people and good quality. Flies made overseas; takes a while to get them in, and minimum # per fly (minimum 1 doz. per size per style, total 5 doz. per order). I have fished with one of the owners (father and son team). They are good folks. Give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    I don't think I have ever bought a fly. I learned to tie before I learned to fly fish.

They can't be much, for .50 cents ea. They must be tied in Indonesia, China, or someplace. Notice, they say that if you are not 100% satisfied with the quality, you can pack the whole set of flies unused, and return them for a refund. It would be difficult to judge the quality without using one, and if it falls apart (likely), then it can't be returned. It's a Catch-22. It's like saying if your parachute fails to open, you can bring it back in for a refund.

Common-sense would indicate that you get what you pay for. If an .85 cent fly works for you, then more power to you. I have always preferred my own flies.

For most patterns I tie, the materials alone cost more than that, not counting my time, expertise, and shipping.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
    I certainly would not think they are quality flies until I verified them. That said, when a fly company touts its quality, what do they say? They say they tie to Umpqua standards. Where do you think Umpqua flies are tied? Where do you think Idylwylde flies are tied? Montana Fly? Basically all the flies you buy at a fly shop?

As far as material cost, you do realize that the fly company is going to be paying wholesale, so they will be paying 1/2 retail. Then understand that they buy such a large volume of materials, they will get an additional increase in discount, say %15.

Quote Originally Posted by salt_flytyer View Post
    I certainly would not think they are quality flies until I verified them. That said, when a fly company touts its quality, what do they say? They say they tie to Umpqua standards. Where do you think Umpqua flies are tied? Where do you think Idylwylde flies are tied? Montana Fly? Basically all the flies you buy at a fly shop?

As far as material cost, you do realize that the fly company is going to be paying wholesale, so they will be paying 1/2 retail. Then understand that they buy such a large volume of materials, they will get an additional increase in discount, say %15.
    Sounds like you are justifying your purchase. Go for it. Personally, no thanks.

Since I don't tie flies, I have to buy them. I will say the stoneflies I bought from flydealflies worked great. I fish Lake Ontario tribs for big browns and those flies were just the ticket and the price is hard to beat. BTW I also have use some of their nymph patterns and am a satisfied customer. But it does take a little longer to get your order than from most other fly dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Sounds like you are justifying your purchase. Go for it. Personally, no thanks.
    No, I still have not gotten enough feedback. I was just making the point that IF you buy flies, even $2-$5 flies from the loccal flyshop which carries the top end flies; Umpqua, Montana FLy, Idywilde, Rainy's; those flies are made in Africa or the Orient.

+ Reply to Thread