Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
I don't think I have ever bought a fly. I learned to tie before I learned to fly fish.

They can't be much, for .50 cents ea. They must be tied in Indonesia, China, or someplace. Notice, they say that if you are not 100% satisfied with the quality, you can pack the whole set of flies unused, and return them for a refund. It would be difficult to judge the quality without using one, and if it falls apart (likely), then it can't be returned. It's a Catch-22. It's like saying if your parachute fails to open, you can bring it back in for a refund.

Common-sense would indicate that you get what you pay for. If an .85 cent fly works for you, then more power to you. I have always preferred my own flies.

For most patterns I tie, the materials alone cost more than that, not counting my time, expertise, and shipping.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
I certainly would not think they are quality flies until I verified them. That said, when a fly company touts its quality, what do they say? They say they tie to Umpqua standards. Where do you think Umpqua flies are tied? Where do you think Idylwylde flies are tied? Montana Fly? Basically all the flies you buy at a fly shop?

As far as material cost, you do realize that the fly company is going to be paying wholesale, so they will be paying 1/2 retail. Then understand that they buy such a large volume of materials, they will get an additional increase in discount, say %15.