+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CONFESSIONS - Neil - September 6, 2010

Mato... Don't you know I just HAVE to respond?

Shoot me if I just couldn't let that kid strangle himself with that new SA fly fishing kit as he flung the line all over himself on the Ausable South Branch one evening. He parents were sitting there making out as this poor kid just struggled. From my point of view he didn't seem to be having a great deal of fun and he dang sure wasn't catching any fish. Because I happen to be a certified instructor would the right thing to do have been to leave that kid demoralized and frustrated, never to pick up a fly rod again or give him a few pointers? I took the high road and asked if I couldn't show him some basics. When I roll casted a good bit of line out just to straighten it his jaw dropped... 'You mean MY fly rig can do THAT?' was the look in his eye. The kid was a good study and I'm sure is pestering his folks all the time to get back out there.
    Personally, I can't think of any but one CCI who flaunts that hard-earned piece of paper. When you get the cert you also get a vest patch and a badge to wear telling the world you've passed. I have yet to see either of those being worn at any of the MANY casting functions I attend yearly. Have you?
    I know peope who fancy themselves casting instructors yet they themself can't keep their back cast out of the water behind them. I think it is good to have some semblance of a standard to which those who call themselves instructors must reach just as I'm glad to see diplomas at doctors offices. Anyone could cut you open and look around but it takes a certain something to fix you.
    We all fish for our own reasons and some of us, believe it or not, enjoy the mechanical aspects of this sport as much as the tug at the end of the line. Are we wrong? During the week I may not get to the water, that does not mean I can't find enjoyment going to my local park and practicing different casts? What you might be saying is the golfer who hits a bucket of balls when they can't squeeze in a game is an egotistical fool instead of simply a person trying to improve their game for their own enjoyment.
    Now please, those who disagree give me some of the negatives of being able to cast well remembering that casting IS a very intregal part of this sport and a major thing that separates us from the bobber using worm dunkers fishers and Tenkara proponents.
    Last edited by Jackster; 09-10-2010 at 05:52 PM.

By the way, my tail is too long, my body too fat and I don't have any more hackle. Just sayin'. I remember living in West Yellowstone when the FFF was quite young and attending one of their first conclaves. It filled the entire old railroad station and was a madhouse full of visitors.

Thanks for the great article.

kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    .... those who disagree give me some of the negatives of being able to cast well remembering that casting IS a very intregal part of this sport and a major thing that separates us from the bobber using worm dunkers fishers and Tenkara proponents....
    And how many times have you used a Tenkara rod to go fly angling ?????
    The fish are always right.

tenkara, traditional, eastern, western, usa, europe, don't need defended. respect the fact that each will choose a style.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

I fished very much like it decades ago but with a long piece of bamboo. Very effective indeed. My Grandmother was a true expert at it and could cast that thing the entire length of the rod itself!

Jackster,

I think that given the scenario that Mato relayed, she is absolutely correct, and you are absolutely correct given your scenario! I do believe that it is important to ask the person for their permission (which you did with that young person) and probably even more so with an adult - because egos could be involved! IMHO, I don't think you can over estimate the importance of good casting techniques. You can wear yourself out in short order if your flailing about and not letting the rod do the work it was designed to do. You need to master the basics in order to break the rules when the occasion arises. You would not believe some of the gyrations I have to go through while attempting to get a fly through some of the over hanging vegetation around here!!! If I need to learn, say a reach cast, and you cast out there executing a wonderful reach cast, thats all the certification I need to see. The nice thing about fly fishing is that you can participate in it at a very basic level or go nuts - fly tying, rod building, net making, instructing others, joining conservation groups, ie. TU,FFF, and last but not least participating in on-line sites like FAOL!!!!

Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Mato... Don't you know I just HAVE to respond?

snip...
    Jackster,

I don't necessarily disagree with you're point of view. However, if you felt the need to reply to mine directly than you didn't really understand mine.

Your response re: the boy frothing the river..."Because I happen to be a certified instructor..." ??? (could be a case in point?) I would hope that anyone who thought they could offer a helpful pointer would feel that they could...certified or not. (but by all means, make sure the help wanted!) What I have found is when someone is in that boat (having difficulty), they will more often than not, make a comment to the observer, like "wow, you cast really well...", or I'm really having trouble with (what ever)... Those can be taken as requests for help. You can also tactfully offer a suggestion but try it after opening the door and establishing trust with other kinds of conversation first. Most of the time, I've had them ask me for help before I was tempted to offer it. I've also been on the river when someone will walk up to me and offer unsolicited advise. I don't like it and I'm more apt to turn off than listen.

With regards to your comment: "When you get the cert you also get a vest patch and a badge to wear telling the world you've passed. I have yet to see either of those being worn at any of the MANY casting functions I attend yearly. Have you? " Well actually, YES! I have seen a lot those Certified Casting Intsructor badges on shirts around here. " It's also the first thing out of their mouths when you bump into them, too... "I'M A CERTIFIED Casting Instructor". Fine and dandy....but I've received as much or more quality instruction and information from non certified mentors and instuctors as from certified ones.

I know you well enough to know that casting is really very important to you. That's A-OK with me! I thought I made that clear in my previous post! My point was that I just think it's too easy to turn a beginner off fly fishing if too much emphases is placed on casting perfection (or fly tying perfection), early in their journey. They will seek out perfection as they grow in the sport...at their own pace. Like you, I do find casting relaxing. I practice all the time...but for my own enjoyment, and I won't flog the next guy for not wanting to do the same. I just don't think having THE paper and badge is the the only measure of a good mentor/ instructor, nor a reason why one can't give someone assistance if they have reached a skill level where they feel confident enough to offer help to the floundering fellow next to them. I like the philosophy of "see (learn)one, do one, teach one". It might not be perfect but it's how we can learn and gain confidence at the same time.

...and with that kid... it's too bad the parents let him struggle as you described. It would have been better to get him over to the local blue gill pond and let him have some success before leaving him to his own devises on a trout stream. (re; the parents...not you!) And my opinion here....Beginners...especially Kids, need quick success. They don't have the patient to perfect the cast to the point where I see many instructors push them. If they can get a fly out on the water 15 feet and catch a blue gill (gotta love those little bass turds), you have the kid hooked. Worry about perfection later...a lot later. The good old KISS method!!

Your last line: "Now please, those who disagree give me some of the negatives of being able to cast well remembering that casting IS a very intregal part of this sport and a major thing that separates us from the bobber using worm dunkers fishers and Tenkara proponents.", sort of made the point...you're an FFF certified casting instructor.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 09-13-2010 at 12:22 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Thank you Mato - you got my point perfectly.

The Chronicler

+ Reply to Thread