+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CONFESSIONS - Neil - September 6, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default CONFESSIONS - Neil - September 6, 2010

CONFESSIONS

Recently the Ladyfisher and I took a day trip to West Yellowstone, Montana to attend the Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Fishing Fair & Conclave. The last Conclave that I attended was here in Livingston in 2006. There was the normal cadre of fly tiers working their magic for the benefit of the crowds, some casting ponds out back of the exhibit hall, some drift boats on the front lawn, and a small assortment of vendors inside the main exhibit hall. Not much has changed except it seemed smaller, the crowds were sparser, and most of the attendees [including yours truly] were several years older.

Well said Neil. Thank you.
    Steve

My casts are not pretty, can't double haul and most of my flies are ugly. PTN are tied with longer tails and thinner bodies. Fish still seem to like them.

Rick

I'll probably always be a tyro when it comes to tying and fly fishing, but I do have fun.
    Thanks for letting me hear that not everyone has to be an expert. Fishing for fun, what a unique idea!!
    Good article, Neil.
    Thanks,Rodger

One of the best articles we have had in many years!
    Thanks Neil.
    Denny

Wow,

Very well put, Thanks for the fresh breeze sensability...that we often see here!
    Flyfisher121

Being that for most of us fly casting is such an intregral part of this sport/hobby of fly fishing, why not be the best you can be at it?
    It's like a friend of mine says, "I catch all of my fish within 20' " to which I wonder how many more he would catch if he could cast effectively to 30 or 40'... or learn to do ariel mends... or reach casts... or...
    The certification process for fly casting can be, and in my opinion is a good thing. It means that an instructor has a proven ability to show good casts as well as show poor casts and provide the means to remedy the poor casts. For what it's worth, the double haul isn't just for distance, it is a very useful tool to have to cast normal distances with much less effort, or fight the wind, or tuck a tight loop under an overhanging rhodo.
    As much as many would like to belive, there is no downside to casting well.

As for the conclave, it broke my heart I couldn't make it out to W. Yellowstone this year. I usually base around there every August and to have the conclave there again this year! Rats!

+ Reply to Thread