+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing Through Weeds

Hybrid View

Default Fishing Through Weeds

Here's my next question: The other day I fished a slow, deep pool for the first time. On the bottom was a lot of weed growth, some of it pretty high. I wanted to fish a streamer or nymph, but was afraid of getting snagged. The next day I went online to see if I could find weedless streamers or nymphs to buy - I don't tie - but I couldn't.

I've heard about bending my hook up, but wonder if this will make hook-ups very difficult.

Is it possible, therefore, for me to fish on the bottom?

Thanks,

Randy

Barbell-eye (like small Clouser Deep Minnows) or bead-chain eye nymph patterns are designed to keep the hook riding point-up. Not 100% weedless or snag-proof, but way better than hook-down patterns if you are fishing near the bottom.

If you don't tie, perhaps you know a fly angler who does? You could tell them what you want, and come up with a workable pattern together? A monofilament weedguard could be added to almost any regular pattern.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

A bent back hook works fine. Does not seem to effect hook up count so far as I can tell.

jed

Randy, do a search on the main section of FAOL. not here on the bulletin board, I know we have instruction for making a mono weed guard which you can add to any flies you already have.

Ladyfusher sent me. So here I am like a knight in shining armor. "Scuse me while I park my white horse.

Here is a picture that I posted in the warm water forum that illustrates several ways to deal with weeds. I will add another one.

The first two flies show method A, float your flies over the weeds. Both of these floating flies can be fished on a sinking line with a short 3-4' leader to put them in the fish zone.

But since you want to fish deeper, we need to move on. Method B is illustrated by the third fly. The fly is tied with an inverted hook.Though this one is kind of exotic looking, most streamers can be tied hook up. Buggers with bead chain or dumbell eyes will also ride hook up. Wing material like bucktail is fairly good at shedding weeds.

Now if you really want to root around in the weeds, you get into weed guards tied as part of the fly, method C. The Red and White fly in the picture has a wire weed guard though mono loop weed guards are also effective.

Since you do not tie, all of this may be totally academic. I propose method D, a weed guard that can be added to a fly after it is tied. Though it is not as good as integral weed guards, it might get you through when you have nothing else to go to with. The Stickguard (Hook Guard) comes from our crappie fishing bubbas who routinely drop their jigs into thick underwater brush and submerged tree tops. Essentially it is a clear plastisol stick. One end is flattened and has a hole through it. Put the eye of the fly through the hole. Tie on the fly. Push the hook point into the other end to protect it from weeds. In bubba terms, you have a Texas rigged fly. See the Bassro write-up for details. http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/1997/reviews.htm

Advantage: You can retrofit a fly to make it weedless.
    Disadvantage: Bulky, tears up easily, limited to flies size 10 and up.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Bear742; 09-12-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    Bear742

Bear,
    Thanks so much. I tried to find the article on FAOL, but couldn't. I like the idea of tying the hook up. I can ask a
    friend to do it for me.
    Randy

+ Reply to Thread