+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Late Summer Fishing

Hybrid View

Default Late Summer Fishing

I love this time of year for fishing. I had a long hour between work and meeting friends so I went to the Swift River. Its a place that is heavily fished so fish are generally educated to the ways of man. I arrived and there was only one person fishing who was moving upstream as I entered. We passed and then one of my favorite places was empty of humankind.

I cast an ant to no avail and then switched to one of my favorite flies for this time of year. A Joe's Hopper. When they work, they are deadly. I was casting into the likely places, banks with overhangs, on seams and in the current. I cast to the rises after waiting a few seconds. I was rewarded with many takes, 4 ver;y nice Rainbows and some brookie action as well.

It was just one of those moments that is hard to forget with those big gulping sounds, those smaller sucking sounds and then fish leaping and dancing across the water's surface.

I've got to get back there soon.

jed

Nice .... I did the same thing this evening ... stoped by a local pond and had a quiet hour fighing bows all by myself ..pitty... no one to brag to ...O Well

As of tonight it's ants in Paradise (Valley that is). Enjoy!

Or is it LF in paradise, with ants! Any way you slice it, its paradise.

jed

Jed,
    The Swift is my home water. I live in Palmer and generally fish it 3 or 4 times a week between July and December. Actually October and November are my favorite months. Usually good BWO and Midge action, and even some terrestrials before the first hard frost. If you get up there again in the near future, try a Madam X tied all black. I guess it imitates a cricket, and, at times, can be deadly. I drive a silver Toyota SUV with a cartop box on it. If you see me there, stop and say hi.

Gadams,
    I will look for you. I have a red RAV4 with a Patrick bumper sticker on the tire. Usually there after work. I agree with the small bwo and midges. It is always smaller than small as you move up to the Y pool and beyond.

jed

jed

+ Reply to Thread