+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Help/Advice

Hybrid View

Default Rod Help/Advice

I've got a Sage VPS III B 9 ft 5 wt rod which I bought a couple of years ago. It is a custom built rod. On my last fishing trip I sadly discovered the tip piece was crushed between the bottom two eyes, right above the ferrule. I've contacted Sage and they will not repair it because it's a custom built rod. They can sell me the tip blank for about $120, but then I have to get a rod builder to complete it for me. The person I spoke to on the phone told me the piece they could sell me would not match the original.

All in all it appears the cost to fix the rod would be about 150-175. To me, that's not feasible. I hate to scrap it, and before I do I thought I would ask you all for advice. Maybe there are better options out there.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Greg

Greg,

Sadly, I agree with your assessment, it's probably not worth the time, effort and money; espeially since the new tip will not really match the butt section. I have a Gatti rod that simply broke and the hassle of getting a tip that even fit the rod was more than I bargined for so I know what you'd be going through. That is the one downside of custom built rods. You should be able to salvage the guides easily enough, but the reel seat can be a bit of a challenge depending on which adhesive he used to glue it in place. If ou look on the bright side, you now have a "legitment" excuse to buy a new replacement rod.

Jim Smith

Normand Guest

what about the oiginal builder you purchased the rod from? can he solve your problem?

sage blanks are warranteed http://www.sageflyfish.com/Resources/Warranty/

i dont see where they dont warranty "custom" built rods.

lets say you bought the blank, built it yourself and sent in the prpoper registration papers. your the original owner. it should be covered.
    Last edited by Normand; 09-01-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i dont see where they dont warranty "custom" built rods.

lets say you bought the blank, built it yourself and sent in the prpoper registration papers. your the original owner. it should be covered.
    I agree with Normand. Last year I had to replace the tip section on an RPL+ I built from a blank purchased in 1997; I think I only had to pay $25, certainly not $120.

Regards,
    Scott

the crushed part depending on its size can be repaired for next to nothing if you do it your self.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    the crushed part depending on its size can be repaired for next to nothing if you do it your self.
    It sure can. That is a much easier repair than further up the blank and it would be almost invisible.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread