+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In 12 weeks...

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default In 12 weeks...

My Grandson-In-Law will have earned the title of United States Marine. He went to Boot Camp Monday.

I can't even begin to tell you folks how proud the family is of him. He was a fantastic young man to begin with. He had to be to put up with my high maintenance granddaughter!

Right about now, he is probably wondering what the heck he was thinking!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Kevin,
    Tell him "Thanks, one GI to another."
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

He's got a long and exciting thirteen weeks ahead of him! I'm quite sure that he is wondering just what the heck he got himself into and he's going to wonder that even more when he finishes his receiving week and picks up with his actual training DI's.

You will be suprised when he comes home on leave to see how much a person can change in a rather short amount of time!

I might recommend the book "Keeping Faith" as a good read while he is away.

Blog Entries

I am aware he will be greatly changed. Like I said, he was a great kid to begin with. I think this will enhance all that was good. My granddaughter is, of course, quite proud of her new hubby, but he is not going to be the boy she married at the end of Boot Camp. He went in with his best friend from high school. I am not sure how she will react to the bond the two young men will have after training. Like I said, she is pretty high maintenance. Not so much with material things, but she has to be the absolute center of attention.

When he gets back, I plan on teasing him about having to join the Marines to get a little time away from her.

It will be great for Derek, but I am thinking Ariel will find it harder than she originally thought.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I'm proud for both of you. There is always room in my beloved Corps for another good Marine.

Oooooh Raaah!

Joel C. Brothers ND, SHD, LMT
    3/5 "Dark Horse" Marines
    Okinawa, Chu Lai, Da Nang, An Hoa, RVN.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 09-02-2010 at 03:22 AM.

I have two Marine sons -- neither active now but, once a Marine, always a Marine. My other son is in the USAF and gets a lot of grief from his USMC brothers, as you might expect.

Observing it from the perspective of a parent who did his best to raise the sons right before they hit USMC boot camp, I have to say I am amazed at what they do there. Seems to me that they kept the best their mom and I had done, but then added on a whole new magnitude of it all.

As a retired U.S. Army Sergeant 1st Class/Platoon Sergeant (same rank as the Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corp), I know what Basic Training/Boot Camp can be to a new wet behind the ear Private Recruit. The military tear the recruits down, along with all the other recruits, and then builds them up again. They will learn quickly that there are only three things you say to a Drill Sergeant/DI, "Yes Sir, No Sir, No Excuse Sir".

Getting up at O'Dark Hundred (Oh 5 hundred), and having only 5 minutes to fall out of the barracks and into formation in the Company Street, and starting a 4 mile run....boy that souns like a great way to start the day. Then back to the barracks to clean up, change into the uniform of the day, and report to the Mess Hall for breakfast, then back to the barracks to clean up the barracks to pass inspection before you fall backout into the Company Street for Morning Formation, where every recruit is accounted as being present and ready for duty, and open rack inspection of the uniform, then the company commander receives the report that all are present, otherwise it is two men missing and the response is who are they and where are they!

Then off in platoon formation double-timing to the first training of the day, they will be double-timing every where they go.....This is the schedule each and every day..... Back for the noon meal, then off to more training again, then back fro evening meal, then back to the barracks and lights out at 21 hundred when "Taps" are played. Same routine each day until everyone in the platoon, work in unison.

What on day one, was a bunch of young boys, wet behind the ears, after all the training and disapline,they will graduate as men serving their country, obey all lawful order of those appointed over them, and defending the Constitution of the United States of America from all Enemies, Foriegn and Domestic! From that day on, they will be soldiers/marines. For the rest of their lives in the Armed Forces of the United States, and later when they return to civilain life they remain soldiers/marines. They are due honors for their service to our Nation, for the remainer of their lives! For the rest of their lives they can say that they were/are/always will be a soldier/marine!

SFC/Platoon Sergeant Steven H. McGarthwaite (RA68044546)
    U.S. Army, Retired, 1968-1995)
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 09-02-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    I have two Marine sons -- neither active now but, once a Marine, always a Marine. My other son is in the USAF and gets a lot of grief from his USMC brothers, as you might expect.

Observing it from the perspective of a parent who did his best to raise the sons right before they hit USMC boot camp, I have to say I am amazed at what they do there. Seems to me that they kept the best their mom and I had done, but then added on a whole new magnitude of it all.

I have one Marine son and I couldn't agree with you more. My son started off an execptional person and the Marines only reinforced the fine qualities he already possessed and gave him a few more.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Awesome to hear. Great job to both him and your family.

A friend of my youngest is going to graduate Army Boot Camp on the 24th up at Ft. Benning, We are going up to see the ceremony and she is going to particpate in the "Turning Blue" ceremony. I cannot say enough about the young people who enlist in the service of our country, they are the finest people in the world, and hold them in the higest regard!

+ Reply to Thread