+ Reply to Thread

Thread: all anglers need to read this now, and pass it on to all fishing forums

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default all anglers need to read this now, and pass it on to all fishing forums

On August 23, 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was petitioned by the Center for Biological Diversity and four other organizations to ban all lead in fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. This includes sinkers, jigs, weighted fly line, and components that contain lead such as brass and ballast in a wide variety of lures, including spinners, stick baits and more. click to submit your opinion I highly suggest that you send this to everyone you know. This is one way they will try to stop fishing and hunting. Put this on all the fishing forums you know of. This has to be stopped.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I got that story from Keep America Fishing.org The EPA refused to consider the ammo ban, but it IS reviewing the lead lures, weights etc... from FISHING.

They backed off the ammunition portion earlier this week. But they are still considering the fishing. Gotta love the EPA and the man running it, eh?

Blog Entries

Lead is in just about all crankbait, flies, weights, bobbers, hooks (besides steel hooks used mostly in salt water)...swivels, spinners, splitters, you name it...it would virtually wipe out conventional anglers, and put the hurt on many fly collectors as well. Many flies we have are weighted with lead. However there are some that are going to another way to weight their flies, like tungsten...the prices for such a change are astronomical compared to lead. To go to stainless steel wiring or something would really raise prices through the roof. I have a ton of brass beads I use for fly tying. Those who have stockpiles of tying beads etc...would be up a creek. Hopefully they will see this will put people out of work, and they will not push this issue.
    Last edited by kelkay; 08-31-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Here's what they do in Vermont
    It's not that hard to live with

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/lib...t_Brochure.pdf
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
    and put the hurt on many fly collectors as well.
    if i collect them, frame them and dont use them, whats the harm??

Those who have stockpiles of tying beads etc...would be up a creek.
    if they are made of brass or tungsten, whats the harm here also??

To go to stainless steel wiring or something would really raise prices through the roof.
    stainless steel wire probably cant be wound around the diameter of the hook shank as easily as lead or tin wire thus it would be unusable.

Interesting. I have been trying to use non-lead sinkers and weight on flies I tye. This past week when I was fishing the Eastern Sierra, I must have picked up 5 lbs of lead sinkers that were dropped or discarded along creek and river banks, not to mention all the fishing line left behind. If we just police ourselves the Feds wouldn't have to get involved. My 2 cents.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread