I received a reply from my senator
Dear Mr. Williams,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the use of lead in the manufacturing of ammunition and fishing tackle. I appreciate hearing your views on this issue.

On August 3, 2010, a petition was filed with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to ban lead shot, bullets, and fishing sinkers under the Toxic Substances Control Act. After reviewing this petition, the EPA determined that the Agency does not have legal authority to regulate lead shot and bullets under the Toxic Substances Control Act. However, the EPA is continuing to review the petition's request regarding lead fishing sinkers and will respond to this portion of the petition within 90 days.

In the Senate, the Hunting, Fishing and Recreational Shooting Protection Act (S. 3850) was introduced by Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) on September 28, 2010. This legislation seeks to clarify that the components used in manufacturing shells, cartridges, and fishing tackle are exempted from EPA regulation under the Toxic Substances Control Act. S. 3850 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works.

As a member of the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, please be assured that I will continue to monitor this issue and will keep your thoughts in mind. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator