+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aqua-Stealth?

I have the same boots as preest. He pretty well sums it up on advantages/disadvantages. I have the studded AS and I really like them. Felts are horrible in snow also. If you fish out of a boat you may want to not get the studded kind.

Ray wrote: They are by far the best boot I've ever owned, I can't think of a single disadvantage.

The carbide studs can do some real hurt to the floor of someone's boat.

Bob

They are great boots for the reasons mentioned, but they are down right dangerous for anything that is wet and smooth like logs, branches, smooth, wet volcanic rock or granite. I almost broke my rod slipping with them.

------------------
    Jude
    Small flies work best. Elephants eat peanuts.
    www.customflys.com

Riverdancer - are you talking with or without the carbide studs? I too am investigating these boots, and encounter slippery granite on one stream I frequent. Last year I "swam" most of this stretch of stream using my felts (non-studded) much to the delight of my fishing buddies.

A&W,

Good inquiry. I consider myself an advanced angler. I fish/guide about 120 days a year, so walking in the water is like walking on a sidewalk for me.

However, on that stream I was talking about with volcanic rock, and wet, smooth granite, I slip all over. I've tried aquastealths and found them more slippery than felt on those surfaces.

The problem I think is with the rubber. It sticks like crazy when it's dry, and even when it's wet in warm environments. However, when it gets wet and cold, there's a recipe for disaster. It gets stiff, and doesn't want to grab the rocks. Unfortunatly there just isn't a safe boot for those types of streams, felt or aquastealth. but aquastealth is no improvement over felt in those circumstances. I've just learned to wade slower, and not take as many chances.

We provide loan fishing boots for our guests. I chose the Simms Guide boots - both the Felt model & the Aqua-Stealh with Carbine spikes.

After almost 2 season of constant use the Aqua-Stealh models have proved the most popular. The Aqua-Stealh rubber sticks to dry rocks and the spikes take care of walking on grass, trees & wet rocks.

The only slight downside is that they are "noisy" compared to felt soled boots.

Most guest have gone out and purchased a pair after using them !

------------------

Owen River Lodge
    Fly Fishing at its very best
    Owen Valley East Road, Murchison
    South Island, New Zealand
    Tel:+ 64 3 523 9075
    [url=http://www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz:ed085]www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz[/url:ed085]

[This message has been edited by OwenRiverLodge (edited 07 February 2005).]

I am already convinced about the sole but like I said above I don't want to pay a lot for them becuase I will grow out of them pretty fast. I would much rather pay the price for a cheap boot than an expensive one that I will grow out of...What to do

------------------
    "Fear No Fish"

I've got the Simms A/S to use for the dual purpose of duck hunting and other wading in mud and for trout fishing. They don't absorb the mud and water like felt, and are far superior for wading in muddy conditions.

I have not had a chance to try them on the San Juan yet, which has slick algae covered rocks and is the reason they invented studs. I have a pair of Danner felt/cleat soles and they have not let me down on the slick stuff, and hopefully, I will get to compare the A/S with stud inserts.

I put a pair of Aqua Stealth replacement soles on an old pair of Hodgman boots several years ago and never regretted it. If you have some wading boots that fit you, you might be able to find a place on the internet where you can purchase these soles. They are no longer available from LL Bean. Another option that should cost less than a pair of Simms would the Korkers Wetlands boots. I recently bought a pair of the Korkers Convertibles and am really impressed with the stability and comfort. I purchased an extra pair of the studded felt soles, but think I would be happier with the AquaStealth soles for most of my wading, so I plan to order some. Korkers has Aqua Stealth soles available, both studded and plain. The Wetlands boot runs $79.95, comes with felt and rubber hiking soles standard, and you can add another pair of Aqua Stealth soles for another $29.95
    Larry Compton

+ Reply to Thread