+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St.croix reign????

Default St.croix reign????

Anyone have any experience with these rods? I am looking at a 6wt. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun View Post
    Anyone have any experience with these rods? I am looking at a 6wt. Thanks in advance.

I have the 8' 4wt and love it, great rod and handles the big boys (Bull Trout) well. Well kept secret if you ask me.

Test one out, and see what you think I think that is good advise with any rod purchase.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Have an 8'6" 5wt and it's a pretty good rod, no complaints and it's proven to be reliable and durable (banged around a few times and still in the original 4 pieces with no new "sections" added on yet).

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun View Post
    ragin

I had a 9' 6wt Avid and liked it. But, wanted something a little faster so I traded it up for a Ultra and I really like this rod. Fast/crisp and carries allot of line.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Am I correct in assuming the avid replaced the reign?

Someone wants to trade for a 6wt tfo. Good trade?

Cold Guest

Am I correct in assuming the avid replaced the reign?
    No, the Reign replaced the Imperial, and has been, in turn, re-replaced by the Imperial. The Avid is the next product line up from the Reign/Imperial level.

Have a 9' 5wt 4pc. Pretty good casting rod, currently thinking about selling it due to the very reason a 5wt is usually a good first rod: it covers everything 'okay', but I have several lighter rods for trout and a 7wt for warmwater and Erie steelhead, so I find I haven't used this 5wt in about a year.

I don't think you can go too wrong with the Reign. Just remember that the warranty on that rod is 5 yrs. That may or may not break the deal. Personally I don't consider the warranty when buying a rod.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

If you check their website, the Reign has a lifetime warranty.

I really like my 7'6" four piece 4 weight. My go to trout rod on medium to small rivers.

Not to knock the Reign but Avid is much smoother to cast IMHO. You can build one for not much more than the price of a Reign or Imperial in the store...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread