+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flies that Work 2010

Default Flies that Work 2010

Working Flies

These are flies that have worked for me so far this year. I do not fly fish as much as I would like. It is hard work. But here they are-somethings old, somethings new-all my own ties.

The first is a sponge spider I have been tying for over 50 years. It is still a bluegill killer. It is about 1 inch long.

The next two bass flies didn't even exist 10 years ago. The grey one is my take on Kent Edmonds' Stealth Bomber. Grizzly hackle is a family favorite of ours. The stubby red silly legs suggest gills. About 2 1/2 inches.

The Whodat Fodder is a novelty fly I tied to celebrate the Saints Superbowl win. It is a variation on n Craig Reindieu's Hairy Fodder. The elastic loop (ringer) on the front allows you to insert different sized dumbbell eyes to control the depth. Or fish it without weight as shown here. Though it started as a novelty, it got me my biggest LM Bass on a fly this year-19". The fly is a littile over 3 inches.

The last one is a classic over 50 years old. The Red and White is Lefty Kreh's variation on the Homer Rhodes tarpon fly from the 50s. The weed guard is Lefty's preferred guard-a double light wire guard that curves around the hook point. Lefty sez that curve makes it easier for the fish to compress the guard. About 4 inches long.
    Last edited by Bear742; 08-31-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    Bear742

Some neat looking flies. Thanks for sharing.

Tim

Hey Mike? There is another thread on here about weed guards posted by Randyflycaster Fishing Through Weeds maybe you could explain how to make that weedguard to him (he is not a tyer). Hugs, LF

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Hey Mike? There is another thread on here about weed guards posted by Randyflycaster Fishing Through Weeds maybe you could explain how to make that weedguard to him (he is not a tyer). Hugs, LF
    I would be happy to, though right now I am striking out at finding Fishing Through Weeds. Please aim me at it or direct him to
    this thread.

Mike
    Bear742

LF,

I should just go ahead and explain. First I will give credit. The design comes from one of Lefty Kreh's books. He prefers wire to mono guards.

Cut a 5" section of fine stainless steel wire and bend it into a "V.”
    1. Start thread on hook about one eighth inch behind the eye. Wrap the wire V under the hook with the 2 ends sticking out beyond the eye. Leave 1/8 inch between thread wrapping and hook eye to allow for finishing the head later.
    2. Tie the fly as usual. Bend the wire ends down 90 deg to the hook.
    3. .Finish the head and trim thread.
    4. Bend the wires to the shape shown. Trim even with the rear of the hook.
    Bear742

Seems like the wire would cut the leader or even a main line if it slid across at the wrong time....cuz when any wire is cut with cutters it ALWAYS cuts at an angle and is now like a little knife blade...unless one could put a drop of silicone on the tips to guard from the blades....
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

Quote Originally Posted by Bear742 View Post
    I would be happy to, though right now I am striking out at finding Fishing Through Weeds. Please aim me at it or direct him to
    this thread.

Mike
    Here ya go Mike;
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ght=weed+guard
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
    Seems like the wire would cut the leader or even a main line if it slid across at the wrong time....cuz when any wire is cut with cutters it ALWAYS cuts at an angle and is now like a little knife blade...unless one could put a drop of silicone on the tips to guard from the blades....
    I have not had the problem. Consider that hook points thenselves are or should be very sharp. Though many are honed to knife edge specifications, we don't see them cutting leaders or lines.
    Bear742

+ Reply to Thread