Thread: Flies that Work 2010

Threaded View

Default Flies that Work 2010

Working Flies

These are flies that have worked for me so far this year. I do not fly fish as much as I would like. It is hard work. But here they are-somethings old, somethings new-all my own ties.

The first is a sponge spider I have been tying for over 50 years. It is still a bluegill killer. It is about 1 inch long.

The next two bass flies didn't even exist 10 years ago. The grey one is my take on Kent Edmonds' Stealth Bomber. Grizzly hackle is a family favorite of ours. The stubby red silly legs suggest gills. About 2 1/2 inches.

The Whodat Fodder is a novelty fly I tied to celebrate the Saints Superbowl win. It is a variation on n Craig Reindieu's Hairy Fodder. The elastic loop (ringer) on the front allows you to insert different sized dumbbell eyes to control the depth. Or fish it without weight as shown here. Though it started as a novelty, it got me my biggest LM Bass on a fly this year-19". The fly is a littile over 3 inches.

The last one is a classic over 50 years old. The Red and White is Lefty Kreh's variation on the Homer Rhodes tarpon fly from the 50s. The weed guard is Lefty's preferred guard-a double light wire guard that curves around the hook point. Lefty sez that curve makes it easier for the fish to compress the guard. About 4 inches long.
    Last edited by Bear742; 08-31-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    Bear742