+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grizzly King Variant

Default Grizzly King Variant

I just completed this fly, needs a couple more coats of lacquer but I must say I learned so much.

I beleive ther is a series of these and I would like to tie them all, would anyone have the link???

Here it is

Stage thats a taker fo sure, I think you are talking about the Bondel{Not spelled right?}series flys

Thanks man and I am in the same train of thought I hope the fly is in the jaw of a CB hook jaw male

Bondel eh anyone else have any thoughts

Thanks bud

Cold Guest

Here's one I tied up last night:

Very clean as usual cold, crazy we were on the same bus LOL

Do you have any other Grizzly King Variants I was told there are quite a number of Variants to this pattern and I really like the components, very fishy

Cold Guest

Well, my philosophy as far as patterns and their variations go is that you have one original, in this case, I believe the original grizzly king was a small trout streamer with the tinsel tag and rib, green floss body, red hackle tail, mallard flank wing, and grizzly hackle collar.

From there, you can take your variations in a few directions. The first is to convert that recipe into a similar style of fly. For example, the grizzly king is tied as a wet fly, i believe, in Bergman's "Trout". Also in close approximation, I've seen it tied as a spey, or in the case of my tie, as a steelhead/salmon hairwing, increasing the hook size and replacing mallard flank with gray squirrel. It wouldn't be a terrible stretch of the imagination to see the same color scheme adapted to a dry, a spider, a classic married-wing full dress fly, etc...

The other direction is to make key material/color substitutions. For example, Green Butt Skunk/Red Butt Skunk/etc. Some of these variants are every bit as popular as the original, and in a few cases, more popular. I love to see the different takes on an established pattern, and it bums me out when people get so hung up on accuracy that they try to kill someone else's creative vibe. Most patterns are variants or derivatives of something that has come before, and it's really what keeps tying interesting.

Keep em coming man!

No worries and a very informative explanation Cold, I got the tying bug bad

I am set up to learn spinning deer Hair my next time home so get ready for some buggy looking creatures.

I have the locals here in Brunei on a hunt for some black and white goat so if all goes well I can see some nice ties coming off in the next two weeks before I head home

Blog Entries

http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/guest/grizzly/

Being the grizzly lover that I am, I just so happen to have this little bookmark tucked away. Weird you wanted to tie up a Grizzly King. That is exactly what I was looking up for recipes LAST NIGHT. The flies on here look really good, great job everyone.

+ Reply to Thread