Thread: Knot problem

Threaded View

Any not is not worth a darn if you cannot tie it reliably and repeatable. For the longest time I used to have troubles with both clinch and improved clinch slipping. Then finally I got it. I don't bother with improved clinch any more.

When I am not lazy I do the Orvis Knot for attaching the fly. I use the Orvis Tippet knot for leader to tippet and tippet-to-tippet connections. See this page:
    http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html - doing my own relative knot testing (tug of war between two knots tied to hooks of the sizes I use with the tippet sizes I use)

The Orvis Knot may be troublesome for you to tie in 7x material. But I think Holden can point you to some videos that should explain what he is saying about manipulating the knot with your fingers.

Many people expound how nice the Davey Knot works. But this is a knot I cannot tie reliably at all. Like the Orvis Knot it makes a very small knot ball on the hook, which seems a good thing on very small hooks. Here is the Davey Knot: http://www.pechetruite.com/Noeuds/Davy-knot.htm

But I bet an overhand loop will work great and would be simple to do. It is a surgeon’s loop with only one pass through the 'hole' instead of two. Surgeon's loop.

Of course you need to wet all knots before cinching them down tight.

Whatever knot you decide to do it is best to sit in front of the TV and tie a good number of them so that you get to know how to do the knot and get some muscle memory stuff going. If you try to learn it on the water while being anxious to get fishing you are dooming yourself to disappointment.
    Last edited by Scruffy Fly; 08-29-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add links - correct spelling
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog