+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for parachute hackle

I don't bother to glue them any more but I used to use "Griffiths thin" head cement. after finishing the knot. It wicks all the way into the thread without leaving any build up on the hackle fibers. I think that is what Charlie uses. ... if my memory serves me correctly.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

The coolest trick I've seen for whip finishing a parachute pattern was shown to me by a friend. Take a very short section of drinking straw. Drinking straws come in varying sizes (diameter), so find one that is right for the size fly your tying. After using this method for some time, I've found what size diameter straw works for certain size flies. Put the small piece of straw onto your bobbin before you ever start tying. It will stay on the stem of the bobbin until time to finish the fly. Once ready to whip finish, slide the small section of straw up the thread and over the hackle and post. The straw will hold back the hackle fibers revealing a clean head to tie off on. Very simple.

Last edited by DarrinG; 08-30-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Mark 1:17

Thanks for all for all of the suggestions everyone! Looks like I've got a few new methods to try out
    I spend a little time on the mountain, I spend a little time on the hill...

AK Best method:

1) Wrap clockwise
    2) After you're done wrapping, hold the hackle tip to the rear of the hook with your right hand (assuming right-hand tyer).
    3) With the left, pull back on the hackle collar and the hackle tip at the same time
    4) After pulling back with the left, pull the tip forward with the right (but do not let go with the left). A "v" should form in the barbs between where the barbs are trapped in the left and the barbs that are now facing forward. If there are some barbs just barely trapped in the left, use a bodkin to pick them out to face forward.
    5) Wrap twice over the resulting "v."
    6) Tie off (or dub further if you like a dubbed thorax and then tie off.

I use a half hitch tool to push the hackle up and out of the way. That allows me to get the thread underneath the hackle. Probably not an elegant solution, but it it is quick and easy.

+ Reply to Thread