+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BEAUTIFUL FRUSTRATIONS - Readers Cast (Neal Alexander) - August 30, 2010

Blog Entries

Default BEAUTIFUL FRUSTRATIONS - Readers Cast (Neal Alexander) - August 30, 2010

BEAUTIFUL FRUSTRATIONS

The fish were being quite kind considering my horrid casting. I had caught a handful of bluegills and one nice bass. In between fish catches, though, I managed to snag every tree, lily pad and piece of emergent vegetation within my limited casting range. It was my first time out with my new six-weight outfit. I learned to cast on an eight-weight and even used the word "easy" while speaking with my instructor. Now I could see that one casting lesson doesn?t make a fly fisherman!

Neal, wonderful article, thank you.

"I like to think that fly fishing and faith struggles are beautiful frustrations. In both, beauty cannot be realized if struggle is absent. The process of becoming better is what matters most. Beauty doesn’t mean getting things right 100% of the time. Instead, true beauty is trudging forward when we can’t see a reason to do so. I will always doubt my abilities, in life and fly fishing, but I’m beginning to see that even doubt is a thread in the tapestry of learning. Thank God for a six-weight fly rod, accommodating fish and the lessons they teach!"

I believe this and appreciate your sharing it.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thanks for the reply! I'm learning a lot about fly fishing and faith right now. I hope my journey can help others.

+ Reply to Thread