+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod repair

Question Rod repair

How can I repair a rod that has been broken about 6-7 in. from the tip top?

Thanks
    LilJoe
    Last edited by Liljoe; 08-29-2010 at 01:00 AM.

The easiest fix that may or may not work to your satisfaction is to attach a tip top at the end of the now shortened rod tip and see how it casts.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

The best way would be to replace the whole section.
    Barring that you need to find a piece of fiberglass (not graphite) rod of about 2inches that would fit tight inside the break
    Check the fit, then cut the piece to size. Epoxy the bottom end and slip it into the section from the fat side and pull it up tight.
    Then epoxy the top end of the fiberglass and fit the broken sections together
    That whole area will need to be wrapped with thread to strengthen and coated with rod finish

It's not as hard as you'd think and the rod will be as good as new
    I've fixed a couple of my rods this way and you wouldn't know the difference
    Last edited by dudley; 08-29-2010 at 08:57 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

the same as dudley except remove the tip top, slide the repair tube over the tip, fit it tight, then fit the bottom. should fit 1 to 1.5" above and below the break. when satisfactorily fit place epoxy inside the tube, slide over the tip until tight, wipe epoxy from broken tip section, place epoxy inside repair tube, fit bottom.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi LilJoe,

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm really not trying to rub salt in the wound. I'm just one of those obnoxiously curious people who has to ask the guy with the cast on his arm, "How did you do it?" So, that being said, how did you do it? 8T

My son broke the tip section on his custom rod and the fellow who built the rod for him repaired it in much the same way as is being described here. Inserted a piece of fibreglass, glued the sections and finished with thread wraps. Other than thread wraps with no guide or ferrule, it looks like it's part of the rod and should be there.

Seems to work just as well as the rod did before the break. All was wel lin the universe.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I like to use an insert, rather than a sleeve. It's a cleaner look when finished, and should hold up well that close to the tip. Essentially you're creating a spigot ferrule, but glueing both ends. I used a solid graphite rod that is sold at a model airplane shop. They have them in mm increments, so you can find something close and sand it to the right diameter. I repaired a 2wt this way and it still casts beautifully. There is a slight flat spot in the flex, of course, but it isn't something I notice while fishing. You'll have a flat spot with a sleeve as well.

Blog Entries

The reason to use a fiberglass splice rater than a graphite splice is that the fiberglass flexes more than graphite and is less likely to create the flat spot. Graphite will stiffen the rod, stressing it above and below the blank creating two potential points of failure.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread