+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orvis Silver Label Rod

Default Orvis Silver Label Rod

I'm sure someone other than me purchased an Orvis Silver Label rod. I can't remember what they cost new.

Here's why I need to know. I broke mine, and Orvis has now said they can't fix it, and since they don't make them any longer, they want to replace it with another rod.

What ****** me off is that they offered to replace it with a Clearwater Rod. Not what I consider fair, but I can't remember what I paid for it new. I bought it at a Bass Pro Shops about eight years ago and thought I paid about $250, but I just can't remember.

If someone else purchased such a rod and remembers the cost, please post it so I can tell Orvis what I will take as a replacement for the broken one. This may change my opinion of Orvis.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 11 February 2006).]

I would scream at them. Silver label was the middle of the line with TL being top and clearwater being lower. When they did make them, the price was up there. I would demand a Power Matrix (being the middle line now) No way is a clearwater equal, although a good rod with full warranty. I did learn from working for the company, make a little noise and they will come through "the customer is first and always right".
    I could tell things people returned and they okayed, that I would have said you got to be kidding.

Let me get this straight.
    They are going to give you a free new rod to replace an 8 year old rod that you broke though no fault of their's?
    And you don't consider this fair?
    You ARE a lawyer

------------------
    I never lost a little fish-
    yes, i'm free to say
    It always was the biggest fish
    I caught that got away
    ...Eugene Field
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

You bet it is fair. The warranty is unconditional and 25 years. I am sure that it is reflected in the price. But I would ask for the replacement value and don't settle for what they try to pass off. If I break my TL (not the TLS), I expect to be replaces with a T3---equal price at time.

Call Orvis, explain the situiation and tell them what you paid for the rod.

Ask them to replace the rod with a TLS series rod. These rods are about equivilant to the price you paid for your broken rod.

Orvis is usually pretty good about making customers happy.

Rob

My Orvis Silver label 7'11" 6.0 flex was
    $240 ( on-sale ) in 2001. I think that the regular list price was in the $275 range.

You may want to ask them to trade-up
    (if you kick in some dough )

I may be way off here, but maybe the blank technology of todays Clearwaters is equal to the Silver Labels of 8 years ago.
    I know this has been the case with other rod brands.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

i would wont 1 up from clear water myself.

Not to hijack the thread. What i see happens at my shop is people by the old rods that are no longer produced like the winston ibis and use it for a bit, than either high stick the rod to break it or break it intentionally. In that case i think they should take what they get you bought an old rod for a good price you get a comprably priced rod.

nickodanger is right about people abusing warranties, that is why Orvis changed theirs from free to any rod marked 2003 with a $30.00 repair. As far as the new clearwaters being better, I haven't seen that other than the coating on them now. You say the rod was $275. new which was a lot then and I do fee the TLS Power Matrix is an equal replacement. You have what was a middle class rod(for it's time) why settle for the entry class (clearwater)?

Hey there BC,
    I broke my Silver Label about 2 years ago( got it as a gift so I don't know price) and Orvis replaced it with a Trident TLS of same length and wgt. I have NO idea if that was a "fair" replacement. At the time I was glad to get the new rod and didn't question the deal. Does anyone know if this was "fair".I am however happy with the Trident TLS.

Mark
    PS: Didn't mean to hijack your thread BC

+ Reply to Thread