Thread: Carl Richard's Caddis Flies

Threaded View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Carl Richard's Caddis Flies

Hi Folks,

I've got a question for the group. I've been reading Carl Richards' & Bob Braendle's book called Caddis Super Hatches (1997). I've come across a really nice looking adult caddis imitation (Page 31) in which the wing is made out of frosted Scotch tape. A partridge breast feather is first stuck to the sticky side of the tape. The feather side of the tape and the feather itself are then coated with water-proof cement since the glue on Scotch Tape isn't water-proof by itself. After the water-proof glue dries, the tape is folded down the middle and cut to the shape of the caddis wing you wish to imitate. Additional color or markings can be added as needed with a water-proof marker. The effect is striking!
    I don't recall seeing these Scotch Tape caddis flies written up in magazines or sold anywhere so I assume they never really caught on. Has anyone ever used them? If so, I've got a couple of questions. How is their general durability? I would be afraid that the tape might go totally limp even with the additional glue after long-term use. I don't recall that water and Scotch Tape have ever been close allies. Also, what type of water-proof glue would you use or recommend for these flies. Much thanks in advance for your input----serious and otherwise. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 08-28-2010 at 03:11 PM.