+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Fisherman's Astigmatism

Default Fly Fisherman's Astigmatism

Well I got to dreaming this morning and was thinking about a fish I had come up under my fly one day. The fish did one of those complex compound rises and followed the fly for a good 30-40 ft.. It snapped at the fly a couple of times during the drift and at the last possible moment it was in a frenzy and uncontrollably gulped the fly and I set the hook." Got Ya " I recalled.
    So In my dream I was trying to estimate the size of the fish, and put it at 18". That's a pretty fair fish. I snapped out of my dream and got to think about the accuracy of estimating Length. The morning newspaper was laying there in front of me and looking at the width I guessed 16". Oop's my ruler said 12". I unfolded the paper and said to myself "Wow, now that would be a whopper", 30" flashed into my head, but I already new the answer was 24. I think I need to go see my eye doctor again, real soon.
    .....My math needs a brush up to. "Was that 32 fish I scored on the last trip or was it 46 "? I need to work on that addition.
    Any you guys ever noticed a medical problem like this?
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Yes, with math mostly and of course the fact that in my lifetime, gravity has increased. What seems to happen with the fish counts and sizes from previous trips is that as time passes, somehow those numbers increase. I can't understand it, but it's true.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

If only my bank account got the same interest rates as the fish I remember from "way back when"
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

If I need to have the ture size of a fish I have caught I will carry a ruler and weight device with me and a note pad to wright down the information, because I know in my fishermans heart if I dont it will grow to twice it real sizes.
    Ghost
    Oh it dont hurt to take pictures too so a camera goes too.

I remember a trip hiking down Rattlesnake creek with 5 Fly Fishing friends. We all spotted a fish in the creek and shouted in unison "There is ?? incher". With each estimation different than the other, anywhere from 6 to 14 inches!! We all laughed when we realized how far off we must've been
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I do pretty good up to about 15 or 16 inches. Since I don't see fish bigger than that, I have a hard time guesstimating them. Where I really have trouble is estimating the weight of the fish I catch. Is a 14" fish a pound, or a pound and a half?
    Not that I really care. It's a fish. It tugged on my line. Good enough! lol

Kirk

Today's Catch.
    A fine brace, documented by this mornings paper at 10" and 12".
    Time to make some pickles.

Wish the trout around here grew as fast.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread