+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overwing tie in point and techniues on hairwings

Hybrid View

Default Overwing tie in point and techniues on hairwings

Seasoned Tying Veterns trying to replicate a Golden Girl that utilizes a Golden Pheasant Crest as an overwing, Can not for the life of me get it right...

Any ideas on this

Thanks in advance

pinch the gp crest stem between thumbnail and index finger at the tie in point. or smash the stem with smooth jaw needle nose pliers that'll keep it from pushing down into the wing and allow the gp crest to arch over the top.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Cold Guest

I'd be interested in reading a general guide for using GP crest as well. Hate the stuff.

Tails I have no issue depending on the angle required I build up a dam of tying thread and place the crest directly in front Walah!!

Thanks for the tip and I will share some advice on the overwing as well from one of my mentors

"I bare the end to about 3/8th of an inch. Then with my thumb and a head cement needle, I curl the bare end in the opposite direction that the wing naturally curls. This gives me an infinite number of spots on the bared piece to attach to the hook in order to get just the right angle. Hope that make sense."

Cold Guest

Tails I have no issue depending on the angle required I build up a dam of tying thread and place the crest directly in front Walah!!
    That's a lot of bulk to hide under a tinsel tag, though. I've tried that method and about the only thing I can do is compromise by only taking 1-2 turns under the tail, after its tied in, and hoping for the best.

When VEE was prepping the GP Crest for her Salmon flies she'd check the shape, and if necessary reshape them. Once she was ready to tie them in she would flatten the shaft with a pair of smooth jawed pliers, being careful to keep from cutting the shaft. Once this was done, she could tie in the GP Crest without it slipping around the hook shank.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

So many differnt ways to end up with the same outcome, so much of tying is personal preference

Normand Guest

watch this guy prepare the crests for tying. he will wet them first and then lay them on a pane of glass (or any other flat object) to dry

scroll down to find the crests then click on it

http://www.jpdessaigne.com/Astuces/S...e_astuces.htm#

then watch as he ties in the crest of the fly

http://www.jpdessaigne.com/Lesmouche...toppingfr.html

the above is for a classic salmon fly, but you can adapt the method for hair wing flies
    Last edited by Normand; 08-28-2010 at 10:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread