+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hackle Pliers

I have been using EZ-Hooks for years for hackle and a bunch of other tying jobs. I use a fine jeweler's file(s) to dress the sharp edges of the hook followed by 0000 steel wool and 1500 grit sandpaper. I have NO problems with cutting after doing this.

I use the electronic mini grabbers for holding flies while tying them on as well as for hackle pliers. I get a piece of fine emery cord & round off the edges for the ones I use for hackle pliers. If you have a problem with the standard ,or the old English style hackle pliers try gluing a small piece of fine emery paper to one or both jaws. It adds some gripping power without damaging the feather, tinsel or floss..

Neil

I have bought the test clips from Radio Shack in modest quantities for my classes and found that the tendency to cut varies greatly from one pair to another. If yours seem to cut feathers - Junk them if you wnt - and get another pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    I always strip off a bit of insulation from either 12 ga, or 14 ga electrical household wire.
    It works quite well and always have a few odds n ends to supply many hackle pliers.
    Sometimes only one side needs the padding provided by the rubber/plastic ?
    Do you heat/shrink this, or just slide it over? I just got a pair of these http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...y-Tweezer.html to use as a hackle plier/eye attacher tool, havent had a chance to use/ruin them yet

With the shrink tubing I heated it first and then slipped it on. I think I added a drop of super glue after I saw it was going to work. The test clips do not tolerate a lot of heat (in my experience) heating the shrink tubing after placing on the clip has a high probability of resulting in deformed test clips.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Those test circuit clips, are also great for holding the hook, when you are applying coatings to the heads of your just tied fly patterns. I took a scrape piece of wood, and drill hole in the board for the feet of the circuit clips to rest in. I have six clips help upright in the board, and I let the head coating dry. By the time I have finished applying the coating to the last fly in the line, the first fly is ready for a second coat.

The test circuit clips are great for when your ribbing fine wire on the hook, small diameter tippet material.

I also have one of those test clips on my fishing vest to hold flies especially those size 24 and smaller flies while tying them to the tippet. Helps prevent me from dropping the darn flie. Also helps me keep my fat fingers a way from the eye while threading tippet through it. ..... yeah, I have the test clip attached to a zinger so I can't loose it and the fly.

-

Drilled hole at angle. Made a loop using the butt end of a used leader with a simple overhand knot. Glued the knot with Dave's fleximent though any glue would have worked.
    Last edited by Scruffy Fly; 08-29-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

+ Reply to Thread