Thread: UV rays and cancer....?

Threaded View

Default UV rays and cancer....?

I have been getting an annual full body check for about 5 years now. This year paid off. They found one and cut it out. This is my first experience with skin cancer. I truly suspect there are many more in my scalp they have just not found yet. I thought they normally look for DARK moles or skin lesions...and they do differ in the approach. I know of one doc who gets alarmed if something is RED....and not dark.

Anywhooo....they saw a scab on my forehead near hairline above left eye. They biopsied it and it was basal cancer. It was the SCAB of a pinched pimple! I have a strange condition known to dermatologists as head acne. Just came on when I moved to this elevation. Never had it before and never even heard of it before. I thought it was bites from an insect. But anyway I have a battle with head acne. Well.....then how many of those pimples are basal cancer and how many are just pimples? I dunno.

Anway.....I am now a tad curious. Do little led flashlights emit UV rays?
    Don't flourescent light bulbs emit UV rays?
    Can the UV rays from my little UV light from Umpqua....used to dry UV Knot Sense cause skin cancer?

I thought it pretty interesting....her comment. I am standing there naked....and she says "you have never been fond of wearing shorts huh?"

Light bulb lit immediately. From waist down I am clean as a whistle. NO skin lesions of any kind. Arms, head, neck, back, chest have all kinds of lesions. Like moles, warts, scaly lesions, skin tabs...etc.

Under the thick blue jeans....I am totally spotless. Does the sun cause ALL of these different skin lesions? Seems that way. Again....torso and above have things.....below the waist nada!

Anyway...poooor me. I am the one who lives in snow country and likes to just wear sleeveless T-Shirts all winter long. Well now I have to wear long sleeves. I have tried in the past and even T-shirt sleeves drove me nuts...and the neck seam....I was crushed to find out I have to wear long sleeves because sooooo uncomfortable for me. Well guess what. I was so surprised to find out the UV protecting long sleeved shirts from Orvis labeled "Columbia" are so comfortable I have no problem now with it. I was quite concerned because I had been so uncomfortable in other normal shirts...button up and sleeved t-shirts. Well the Columbia shirts are extremely comfortable. I really got lucky there.

I would highly advise all people...especially younger people to wear a UV protecting hat and sunblocker (every two hours re-treat self), and long sleeved UV protecting shirts. Too late for me as I am closer to 70 than I am to s0. But would like to advise others of the dangers of exposing the skin to tooo much sun.

Sorry for long msg folks. Pls don't forget the questions at the top.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 08-26-2010 at 01:58 PM.