My doctor is putting me on Family Medical Leave Act for "lifetime with exacerbations" on account of my Hyperthyroidism leading to radioactive iodine ablation of the thyroid, Diabetes and Stenosis/Degenerative Disc Disease of the Lumbar spine. I am being put under the "Chronic Conditions Requiring Treatments" part of the FMLA.

Doc is telling them I can take work only intermittently or on a less than full schedule for the rest of my life. Not presently incapacitated but may have episodes requiring no work for each condition can occur 1x week for 8 hour duration. I have been told that with the Department of Defense and Defense Logistics Agency this will probably trigger an 80% disability retirement for me. 80% of my current annual salary is not a lot.

I really am new to this disability retirement stuff and the FMLA. I don't understand a lot of it and any help you all can give me would be most appreciated. It really, really is depressing me knowing that the time is coming when I will no longer be able to take care of our troops, to serve our nation.