+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding spline???

Default Finding spline???

I am using Al Campbell's tutorial "Graphite Rod Building" to build two rods. A 4 piece 7' 2 wt and a 3piece 7'6 3 wt. I bought the blanks on ebay. In Mr. Campbell's tutorial he explains how to find the spline. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...hite/part7.php I'm not feeling the "THUMP" he discusses. Is there another way? Or can someone explain it better? Thanks, Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I went through this a bit ago. One thing that helped was making sure that you are using a very hard surface and the other was putting some pretty serious pressure on the section.

Sometimes seeing is easier than reading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRZQp3l6L8

Steve

Blog Entries

Place one end of the section, it really does not matter which, on a hard surface and hold the other end up so the section is at about a 45* angle. Using the palm of the other hand, press down in the middle of the section and roll the blank. There is a spot it will kind of 'jump' to or naturally want to stop or settle. Mark that point. Sometimes you will find two places the blank wants to settle to. These will usually be 180* from each other. Choose the one you get the most bend out of.

This will be harder to find on butt sections as there is not as much flex, particularly on heavier rods, but it is there.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Tyro, Thanks for the utube link. That clears away some of the mud from my eyes. Also the bit about putting the sections together was helpful.
    Kevin, You are correct about the hard surface. The fellow in Al's tutorial was picured doing it on carpet. That's what I did. Changing to a hardwood floor and a piece of glass made the difference and the thump was noticable. Jim

Blog Entries

I had always managed to find the spine in all sections of a fly rod. I have couple of blanks that I had spined using my method and thought I would check that against the method for finding the spine in the butt section in the video. It does work. I learned something today.
    Kevin

I've also heard of floating the blanks in a tub of water. The heavy side will rotate around to the bottom. Never tried it, so I wouldn't know how much validity there is to it, maybe one of you can try it and see how they compare.

TT.

This is one the worst described things in rod building. I get the part where you find the place where it settles. Then everyone says "mark that spot" . . . . do you mark on the top or the bottom of the blank while it's in that position. Then so the guides go on the same side as the mark? Or the opposite side? I know different builders put them on different, but what's the most common?
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Wayne, Mr. Campbell explained it the link below.
    ("mark that spot" . . . . do you mark on the top or the bottom of the blank while it's in that position. Then so the guides go on the same side as the mark? Or the opposite side?")
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...hite/part7.php

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    Wayne, Mr. Campbell explained it the link below.
    ("mark that spot" . . . . do you mark on the top or the bottom of the blank while it's in that position. Then so the guides go on the same side as the mark? Or the opposite side?")
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...hite/part7.php
    Mark the side that is readily available... The top, and that is the side your guides go on.
    Kevin

Just read Mr Campbell's page. It's one of the better explanations I have seen. Finally someone who can explain it so it's easily understandable. I have two rod building books and they both leave me with questions after that part of the book.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread