It is likely everyone forgot my my last post "Hook & Hackle Bamboo the Decision" - I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Hook & Hackle bamboo Rod Building kit. The price is great for bamboo, but I suspect many are leary of what kind of quality for the price. So I promised a report on the kit when it arrived.

First I will say it took two months to get here from being on back order. I see that as no negative reflection on H&H - they very clearly state on the website there are limited quantities - so I recommend before you order you should give them a call to get the status of what is in stock. I will also say their service is far above par for most suppliers. I have done business with them for years and have always received the best possible service.

As for the Kit everyone seems to be curious about - I find it to be excellent for the price mark. The blank is straight as an arrow and the ferrules are very high quality. I am very happy with it. If I were to find anything to be picky about it would be that some of the bamboo nodes are close to each other. I don't know if that is even a problem, I've just heard a higher quality blank will have them spaced apart better. It will take a bamboo expert to tell us novices why it makes a difference. I suspect the rod will cast just as well. The action feels really good at first impression. I can't wait to get it built and cast it

The parts that come with it are excellent and also very high quality. The kit comes with a rod bag, high quality cork handle and guides including an agate stripper. I had been debating on passing up the agate stripper to use guides I know I could likely get better performance with, but one look at this sucker and that is not going to happen - its a beauty! I will definitely go for the traditional look.

The reel seat is a beauty as well. It is a single band down locking reel seat that is excellently chosen for this blank. My only concern is the outside diameter of the blank is a hair larger than the inside diameter of the reel seat. I will either need to drill out the reel seat a hair or shave the blank at the butt just a hair to get it into the reel seat. It will definitely be worth the extra work though, the color of the reel seat and the blank compliment each other extremely well - this is going to turn into a thing of beauty.

Denny turned me on to a good place to order silk thread - I ordered black for the trim and three other colors to choose from. Now I will be fighting indecision for a bit, but I have no doubt this will turn into one amazing rod.

Now then, many of you asked for pictures. I couldn't find instructions on how to post photos so if one of you could lead me in the right direction I will try to figure it out.