+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hook & Hackle Bamboo the Kit

Default Hook & Hackle Bamboo the Kit

It is likely everyone forgot my my last post "Hook & Hackle Bamboo the Decision" - I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Hook & Hackle bamboo Rod Building kit. The price is great for bamboo, but I suspect many are leary of what kind of quality for the price. So I promised a report on the kit when it arrived.

First I will say it took two months to get here from being on back order. I see that as no negative reflection on H&H - they very clearly state on the website there are limited quantities - so I recommend before you order you should give them a call to get the status of what is in stock. I will also say their service is far above par for most suppliers. I have done business with them for years and have always received the best possible service.

As for the Kit everyone seems to be curious about - I find it to be excellent for the price mark. The blank is straight as an arrow and the ferrules are very high quality. I am very happy with it. If I were to find anything to be picky about it would be that some of the bamboo nodes are close to each other. I don't know if that is even a problem, I've just heard a higher quality blank will have them spaced apart better. It will take a bamboo expert to tell us novices why it makes a difference. I suspect the rod will cast just as well. The action feels really good at first impression. I can't wait to get it built and cast it

The parts that come with it are excellent and also very high quality. The kit comes with a rod bag, high quality cork handle and guides including an agate stripper. I had been debating on passing up the agate stripper to use guides I know I could likely get better performance with, but one look at this sucker and that is not going to happen - its a beauty! I will definitely go for the traditional look.

The reel seat is a beauty as well. It is a single band down locking reel seat that is excellently chosen for this blank. My only concern is the outside diameter of the blank is a hair larger than the inside diameter of the reel seat. I will either need to drill out the reel seat a hair or shave the blank at the butt just a hair to get it into the reel seat. It will definitely be worth the extra work though, the color of the reel seat and the blank compliment each other extremely well - this is going to turn into a thing of beauty.

Denny turned me on to a good place to order silk thread - I ordered black for the trim and three other colors to choose from. Now I will be fighting indecision for a bit, but I have no doubt this will turn into one amazing rod.

Now then, many of you asked for pictures. I couldn't find instructions on how to post photos so if one of you could lead me in the right direction I will try to figure it out.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

PanFisher,
    Thanks a ton for your information. From what you've offered, I may have to save some pennies and get one. I love bamboo and the way it flexes and reflexes. I like the nostalgia of an old style stick. And I'm a fan of the "Old School."
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I for one have not forgotten your original post and have eagerly awaited the follow up. I can't wait to see how it comes out. Good luck with the build.

Thanks for the update! If you dont mind...what were the specs on the rod (i.e length...supposed line wt, # of pieces?)?? Was this one of the imported blanks or the "American Made" blanks?

Thanks
    Yonks

yonks311,

This is the Rod Building Kit, 7' 4wt 2 piece with the imported blank. You can see it at:

http://store.hookhack.com/Bamboo-Rod...tinfo/BAMKT01/
    Let No One Walk Alone

Yay!! We're going to get a report as PF builds!! I'm really curious as to what you think of the rod .... so far, it sounds great!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by PanFisher View Post
    If I were to find anything to be picky about it would be that some of the bamboo nodes are close to each other. I don't know if that is even a problem, I've just heard a higher quality blank will have them spaced apart better.
    If by "close together" you mean at the same position on the blank, that may or may not be something to be concerned with. A common node staggering pattern on a six strip rod is referred to as 3 X 3 which means groups of three nodes are staggered so they are in the same position on the blank but are separated by an adjacent strip where the node is in a different position several inches away. Many builders like Leonard use this method. If the rod has nodes in the same position on ADJACENT strips, that may be a problem since the nodes are in effect a weak spot.

More radical staggering like 2 X 2 X 2 or spiral staggering as used by Garrison and Payne where no two nodes appear in the same position on the blank is more costly because it uses more bamboo. You won't find that node arrangement on anything but top of the line rods made by builders who ascribe to the theory that any more than one node in a given position effects the action of the rod.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your rod!

Bamboozle,

Thanks for the input. Actually the nodes fit the 3X3 pattern you mention. Exact same spot but a separated by an adjacent strip.
    Let No One Walk Alone

Then there is nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your build, the finished rod and good luck fishing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Yay!! We're going to get a report as PF builds!! I'm really curious as to what you think of the rod .... so far, it sounds great!
    Betty

I have built a rod on one of the same blanks and I love it. Used it most of the week at the Michigan Fish In.

The main complaint that I had was the ferrules were mounted on the rod prior to thinning the ferrule tabs and this made for some tricky work before wrapping the ferrules.

I will try and post a few pictures when I get a chance.

Brad

+ Reply to Thread