+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idaho and Montana, soon!

Hybrid View

Default Idaho and Montana, soon!

In another month, my wife and I will be in SE Washington and then a full week in Missoula. We are having a hard time not thinking about it and talking about it all the time now. I do have a question for anyone familiar with the Clearwater River in Idaho, we are thinking about fishing a morning or two for steelhead and would appreciate it if anyone would pm me with some advice about the riverand the fishing to give us a start. Also the last week of our vacation we rented a house along Rock Creek outside of Missoula and would appreciate some info on the area streams. I know I am asking a lot but would just like some suggestions if possible. Any and all info will be kept strictly confidential. Thanks in advance for any help!

Stop by the Rock Creek Mercantile for up-to-date info when you get to Rock Creek www.rcmerc.com Kingfisher is one of several nice flyshops in Missoula and has good on-line reports for area streams (Rock Creek, Clark Fork, Bitterroot, Blackfoot) http://www.kingfisherflyshop.com/ . Have fun, catch a bunch and wear your studded boots or stream cleats on Rock Creek.

Regards,
    Scott

Tig
    The Idaho-Fish-In in Lowell is the week of Sept. 18th - 25th!! about 2 hours from Missoula on US 12. Fish the Selway the Lacsha and the Clearwater!
    Last edited by Jack Hise; 08-23-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Tigfly,

The best resource I know of for info on the Clearwater is Poppy at the Red Shed Fly Shop in Peck, Idaho. http://www.redshedflyshop.com/ Shoot Poppy an E-Mail or make a phone call. Poppy is an interesting character for sure.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks Scott, Jack, Ron and MM for giving me a some idea of where to start. I didn't realize the Idaho Fishin would be that close to Missoula. We will be in Missoula at that time so I may try to get over there for a day.
    Glenn

Rock Creek should be pretty safe when you get there since the world famous (or dreaded) Testicle Festival will have passed. For those of you who haven't heard of it, Google it if you dare. You'll see what a raunchy debaucherous party is held out there for a long weekend every summer, a very good reason to stay away at that time.

I think your going to be a little early for many steelhead in the Clearwater-Middle Fork that is formed by the Selway and Lochsa Rivers in Lowell, ID where the Fish-In is held the last full week in September at Three Rivers Resort.
    Max

First of all I would like to thank Jack Hise, Ron Eagle Elk, Scott P and Montana Moose for their advice to the area around Lowell and Missoula. But I found the advice was not free, I have to pay the piper with pics and reports. So, here they are!

Not only my first fish of the trip but also the first on this rod and reel. Cutthroat on the Lochsa a week ago.

The Lochsa, the scenery matches the fishing, outstanding!

My better half with a nice one on. She out fished me as usual.

Thanks Tig! You are paid in full! If I didn't know better that is the mile marker 146B site where your Better half is.

Tigfly,

Just noticed how old the post was. When we were in Idaho for the Fish-In the steelhead were as far up river as Orofino in the Clearwater. Numbers were good and the fly flingers were out in force.

The sheer beauty of the Lochsa, Selway and Clearwater, plus the fish, are why we keep going back year after year. The fact that we get to hang out with our friends while enjoying the area is icing on the cake.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread