+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HISTORY - Neil - August 23, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default HISTORY - Neil - August 23, 2010

HISTORY

Since the merger of the Ladyfisher [Deanna] and the Chronicler [Neil] last summer there have been several months of sorting and disposing of various items. Since we have somewhat of a shared history going back to our days on the Au Sable River in Michigan in the late 60's and early 70's, and our subsequent mutual migration to Montana in 1974, there are a number of items that, from photographs to fly rods, that bring those days back to mind.

Eric Leiser's Fireside Angler was THE place to buy stuff when I first was introduced to fly fishing. I too have an autographed copy of Eric book, "Fly Tying Materials". When I sent Eric my copy of the book to be inscribed, he attached a Llama Fly to the title page along with a reminder that a description of the Llama was in the book.

This article jogged my memory of the fly, book and Eric, THANKS!

I remember the pattern, "the LLama". I bit on that one pretty hard, but it was a dud for my use. Seems everybody was into painted eyes in those days and the use of Woodchuck was a happening material. There was the "Woodchuck Caddis" too, if I recall. I still have the patch of Woodchuck I used to tie those flies. It's half gone and will probly remain that way.
    I bit on photo- dyeing too and still have an unused plastic vile of silver nitrite which at that time was an expensive Xmas present given to me. Two duds. I traded my copy of "Fly Tying Materials" for "Where The Pools Are Bright And Deep".
    There was a new way to fly fish the West. I went that way and left the east coast with way to many fads and commercial ideas as baggage in my style. I was quick to change. Today I feel comfortable wherever I fish. I landed in Colorado in 1970.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread