+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Do We Build Fly Rods

Default Why Do We Build Fly Rods

Hi All,

I am in the process of learning to build fly rods, and in the process of rounding up supplies, etc.

Colston Newtons post on the main board about buying new fly rods got me to thinking about why I want to build fly rods.

I mentioned on Colston's post that one reason, for me, is to have a few more rods for substantially less than new rods of the same quality. However, it then dawned on me that such is not the only reason, and maybe not even the main reason.

The first reason to want to get started, for me, is to build a rod for my granddaughter to be. (Pink, of course, and a 4 piece, 7'6" moderately to medium fast 4wt.)

Secondly, I am a dyed in the wool do it yourselfer, and have thought about building a fly rod for a very long time, probably on the order of 30 to 40 years, even though at the time I did not fly fish. Just something I have wanted to do. I am looking forward to the challenge and enjoyment of building more than one.

Finally, it is a cheaper way to get the rods I still want.

What are the reasons you build them?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

I do it because I like to. Money really doesn't enter into the picture. It helps pass the winter hours when fishing is mostly on hard water or in your mind.

jed

Trying to save money isn't the best reason for getting into rod building. In the end, you don't save that much and if you want to put a dollar tag on what your time is worth...then you'll really see how expensive it is, which makes a manufactured rod look pretty cost effective in the grand scheme of things.
    I think you can build a better rod, if you take the time to study what your doing.

BUT for me...it gives me great pleasure to fish with a rod I built, and I can make it MINE with attention to some of the finer details, just as with fly tying. Fly tying isn't cheaper than buying shop tied flies...at least not in the short term or for most people. I can loose a dozen flies in a day...so for me...it's cost effective, as long as I tie a hook box full at a sitting and keep materials basic and minimal.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I do it to get rich.

I started in 1976 with the idea to make a million bucks selling rods. I am working on my second million dollars making rods. I could see early on that the first million was a lost cause so I give it up and started the second. I think the second is going the same rout as the first.

I think i will play hookey and go fishing.

fishbum

When I was a kid I enjoyed building model cars and model airplanes. Now that I'm a grown kid, my models have gotten a bit more expensive. And, I enjoy playing with them more. I may go back to cars and planes one day soon.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Ditto to what Deb said. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

+ Reply to Thread