Thread: Why buy new rods?

Threaded View

More times than not it's male ego driving these people to have the newest, biggest, fastest, whateverest when they already have something that will do the job more than fine. Gotta have it before Bob next door gets it. Makes the man parts seem bigger for some, I guess.

Different story if you have to replace something broken or get something you don't have already or something is really better (which most are not), but replacing your ultra fast 9' 4 piece 6 weight with the newest ultra fast 9' 4 piece 6 weight that only scientists in a lab can find a difference between the two in performance in is silly male ego and nothing else.

The companies that sell this stuff to us know this and play upon it. An example, Orvis was making rods that weighed 1 ounce a few decades ago. Now, they're selling the "lightest rods on Earth" that weigh more than the 1 ounce rods they produced years ago. AND, do we really need a rod that's any lighter? Who out there is so weak that something 1/8 ounce is going to make a world of a difference, even after fishing all day long?

I'm guessing they hope we have short memories, are stupid or are driven purely by our male egos saying "I've gotta have that to be THE MAN."
    Last edited by Slate_Drake_9; 08-21-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.