+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Three Legged Furling Machine

Hybrid View

Default Three Legged Furling Machine

I've seen a powered furling machine with 3 hooks plus the central power hook.

What is the third "leg" hook for?......perhaps used when one wants to add another type of thread????????

Default Thanks, Duck ...

... for starting this thread.

I was thinking about the three legged furled leader in terms of a Walton's Engine yesterday and wondering how the third leg is configured and what effect it has.

Follow the link for pix of Walton's Engine and some brief comments by the vendor. In a previous thread it was noted that the three legged version has some advantages and is more uniformly round / tapered, but there was no explanation nor description how to set up the material before twisting.

http://eclecticangler.com/?p=94

Hopefully someone will come along with some clear explanations how to use a three legged furling machine.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

When I have used a Walton's Engine, it was to furl up snoods of horse hair to make lines with. The snoods are usually made with multiples of three hairs, one for each hook or "leaf" for lack of a better term on the engine. The lines I have seen and made tapered from the tippet end witih three hairs to a heavier section of six hairs, then nine hairs and finally twelve nearer the rod tip. When constructing lines of snoods, each snood is about 24-30 inches long and knotted together, forming the tapered line The horse hair lines are pretty dang tough considering they're made of hair, surprisingly stretchy to protect light (one hair) tippets, and are nearly invisible in the water. Should you decide to attempt a horse hair line make sure to use the white hair from the tail of a lusty stallion, nothing else will suffice.

The same procedure can be done by hand, but the Waltons Engine makes the job much simpler and very uniform once you get the hang of it.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Ron, is there any other kind of stallion? If a stallion isn't lusty, you might as well geld him.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Duck
    The two outside hooks are to twist the two stands, and you put them on the middle hook to furl the leader. The middle hook turns in the opposite direction.

knucks

Thanks, knucks, but note that I said 3 hooks PLUS the central power hook....the total number of hooks is 4.

+ Reply to Thread