+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camper Electrical System

Hybrid View

Default Camper Electrical System

I am wondering if there is an "issue" with the electrical system in my 1994 camper and am looking for your thoughts. We bought this camper used a few years ago and do not have an owners manual for me to refer to.

About 3 years ago I put a new battery in this camper. This battery is now completely DEAD. I would have thought it should have lasted longer than 3 years.

First of all, am I understanding the system correctly? If the camper is plugged into an electrical supply, the electricity flows into the camper and through the electrical converter to convert the 110 volt supply into 12 volt to power things such as the lights, water pump, heater fan, etc. Other things such as the air conditioner, outlets, refrigerator, etc. run on the 110 volt power. Is this correct?

My next question: Does there need to actually be a battery hooked to the camper for this system to function is we are connected to an electrical supply? In other words, does the electricity flow into the camper, through the power converter, to the battery and THEN to the 12 volt lights, etc. I ask this because when the battery died we lost our lights even though we were plugged into an electrical supply. I would have thought that since we were plugged in the lights would still work.

Does anybody understand what I am asking? What do you think? Thanks.

Royce

Blog Entries

Royce,

You have the basic idea. Batteries will last varying lengths of time depending on capacity, etc. This one my have legitimately worn out, but they do not normally do it all at once. It is usually somewhat gradual.

Check for 12V breakers. They should be near the converter. Make sure they are not tripped. In your case, I am inclined to think a breaker tripped as the battery is connected to the rest of the system in parallel, meaning that when the inverter is on, the lights should work regardless of the condition of the battery.

Yes, the lights should operate without a battery in the system if the camper is connected to 110V.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I would also unhook the battery when you are not using the camper.

And yes, you should be able to use the lights, etc while hooked only to the external A/C source.

Does your system include a battery charger? Does your battery charger when the A/C is hooked up?

Also check to see what kind of battery you have.....like a normal car battery or a deep cycle battery?
    Some batteries don't like to be completely drained and recharged, while deep cycle batteries do.

just a few thoughts......

Blog Entries

I had something similar, but it turned out to be a dead inverter. Once the inverter was fixed, all the lights and fridge worked when plugged in, and the batteries stayed charged.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

It sounds like Ol' Blue is onto it. That sounds like the most likely problem.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have a feeling it is a problem with the inverter. I'm pretty sure I checked all of the breakers so the inverter may need to be fixed or replaced.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' blue View Post
    I had something similar, but it turned out to be a dead inverter. Once the inverter was fixed, all the lights and fridge worked when plugged in, and the batteries stayed charged.
    Hey Greg. Did you get a camper this summer, or is this from a while back?
    Tim

Blog Entries

I bought an old class A last year, but I don't take it far. I get around 5 or 6 MPG, so it stays close to home for the most part. I'll use a tent for my fishing trips. Except next year at the pits, I'll rent the cabin if possible.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread