+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Guys Feel

Default How Do You Guys Feel

I want to know how you gentlemen and fishermen, hehehe feel about women in this field (aside from Joan Wulff)
    I do come across fellow fishermen that are at times offended when I out fish them. They tease my Husband about it.
    I tied custom flies for customers and I recall one time that I received a very disturbing call from a wife, saying she found my no. in his wallet (the fact that it was on an Orvis business card didn't sink in I guess). She began to read me the riot act on the fact that her husband was a cheater and if I thought I was special to re-think that.
    After hanging up I am stunned.....WHAT?
    Anyway I wonder how you guys feel and has this happened to you gals?

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Ever since I was old enough to have a concious thought I have loved women.
    I have never felt threatened by them.
    There are women as well as men who can outperform me in every aspect of life.
    I accept it and keep going.

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 14 March 2006).]

Maintining the ethics and quality of the sport require good people regardless of gender. Your client's wife needs help.

Ahhhhhh, what a can of worms ou have opened....

I'm all for ANYONE being on the water with a flyrod in hand as long as they play by "the rules".

I have meet several men and a few women that did not do that and it made me very upset.

Now, I have taught MANY people to flyfish and I think some of teh best students I have had are women. I think to many of the men have an attitude built in that makes them think they are better than everyone else.

I have also taught the BOW workshops (all women) in flyfishing and archery. It was great to have students listen to what I was saying.

In my 40+ years on the rivers of the US, I have meet only one woman that I DID NOT LIKE and would not fish with. It was no reason than her "I know everything" attitude after she had been fishing 6 months. I've meet a lot of men like that!!

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

I love to see women in any activity I do. Water ski, snow ski, golf, fish....etc. I'm 46 years old now and find it hot when a chick can talk the talk and walk the walk. My ego is 3 wives behind me. I find it a lot more fun this way. I do like the garage but it's not off limits.

FG

Without women in fly fishing, who would fix the shore lunch? All kidding aside, I suspect that marraige you referred to had troubles long before you gave your business card to that guy.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have a sister-in law that is a flyfisher and hunter She is good at what ever she does. She and her husband ran a sporting good store in nortern MI for many years. She knew the woods and waters as good as or better than anyone else having lived her whole life. It was surprizing how many male customers after she had waited on them would sheirk her aid on how to rig up or how to get somewhere. They would often try to get her husband to help them. His standard answer was my wife is the one you need to talk

I have no problem at all with women fly fishing at all. When I was guiding, I always thought women made better clients because they tend to listen better. Most of the men always thought they knew it all and wouldnt listen, while their wife outfished them. In fact I got stiffed from this guy one day because his wife caught all the fish. I also think women have better dextarity in their fingers and they are more creative than men so they make better tyers too.

------------------
    Born to fish forced to work.
    Alan

FG,

Let's see...My fishing and tying partner is my wife. I got her started in this sport by buying her a Sage rod and Orvis reel for her birthday when she expressed an interest in learning.

Ladyfisher, of this web site taught me how to double haul.

I think women in this or any sport are a great thing. When we close ourselves off to opportunities to learn and share something we love based on gender, race, creed, color or religion, the only ones we hurt is ourselves.

REE

FG,

If you think your name on a business card caused some guy's wife to have a case of the "vapors", just imagine the response your screen name could ellicit.

Best,
    Will

+ Reply to Thread